Slave Cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slave Cylinder

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Toyandgadgetguy

Slave Cylinder

Anyone have a good writeup on the replacement of one?

Bad news is that mine went. Right in the middle of Queens, NY of all places.

Good news is that it now has self-changing fluid. I pour it in the top, and it comes out the bottom.

I tried the search, and found lots of advice, but didn't see a writeup... perhaps I missed it.

[COLOR=Red]Red JEEP club member # 267[/COLOR]
Toyandgadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

There isn't a write up but i just did mine last week. so ask me your questions......
Unread 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
Toyandgadgetguy

I can't say as I have any specific questions regarding the project... I was just looking for a walkthrough on it. I like as much information as I can get before diving into something like this. The two manuals I have are very vague when it comes to the slave cylinder. I'll manage, I'm sure, but I like knowing what to watch out for before hand. It usually saves me some skin on my knuckles.

Unread 09-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK replacing the slave cylinder is not bad. Its the getting to it part that sucks!

you'll be taking the tranny out (don't worry its not that bad) and moving it back or just taking it all the way out to get to the slave. O and what year is your jeep? 95 or so YJs have an external slave.

anyway....
you'll take out both driveshafts - easy

take off the skidplate - easy, but make sure you've got something to hold the tranny, ie tranny jack, piece of wood, floor jack, a buddy, etc.

disconnect all wires,vents, hoses, going to the tranny& t-case - easy

Take of the shifter boot, and shifters from the tranny - easy, just make sure the tranny is in nuetral (dont' forget to block those tires) and just set it inside the jeep

take all bolts off the bellhousing holding the tranny to the engine. - this is the worst part, most of these bolts are different sizes, should be all metric/unless someone has replaced them at one time with standard. also getting up at the top of the tranny blows and is hard unless you have a body lift or some good ratchet extensions. You'll also need to have PB Blaster on hand to get the bolts to let go.

Ok once all these are off (and all your knuckles are blood and you've used up all your cuss words) just back the tranny and tcase off the engine.

Once your in there clean it up and swap parts
then reverse the install.

HTH

* I would go ahead and replace the clutch too while you are in there. Even though its probably still good, its better to replace it now then do this whole mess again when it goes out, i did.**
Unread 09-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Toyandgadgetguy

Thank you very much for the walkthrough. That's exactly what I needed.

It's an 89. It's internal. I put the fluid in... and watch it pour out of the housing. Luckily, it went out near my buddy's house, and I was able to nurse it there. Took all the fluid I had to make it the two blocks. I'll be cussin' like a sailor tomorrow, I'm sure.

Thanks again.

Unread 09-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
admar2

just did this myself. do yourself a favor and drop the money on a LUK Pro Gold clutch kit. comes with EVERYTHING you need. might as well change the rest of it while you have the tranny rolled back!

do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal a tranny jack!!!! I can't believe how easily mine went back in. literally took me 5 minutes to get the tranny/transfer case mated back up with the engine.

if your 89 is like my 89 the two bolts at the top, that bolt the tranny to the engine are E12 torx bolts. make sure you have a E12 socket for those. those two bolts were the most time consuming part of the whole job for me!
admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Anthen27
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I live in Merrick, LI where are you? I just did the same job in my buddies 93' YJ but we put a 99' AX-5 tranny and newer style clutch and slave setup in at the same time.....I woudl consider converting to the newer style exernal setup so you do not need to drop the tranny to replace the clutch slave.....you will need a newer style slave (about $75) would also need the newer style clutch fork and throwout bearing but I think it is well worth the upgrade (you can reuse your old pressure plate and clutch disk if it is in good shape)......I have a new slave that I didnt use because my buddies clutch master was also leaking so I replaced the whole clutch slave/master assembly from chrysler for about $175....and already ordered this slave from an online supply house and never bothered to return it...If you need it let me know I will let you have it cheap.......good luck.......
Anthen27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
Toyandgadgetguy

Bay Shore, Long Island. I'm going to mull over the idea tonight. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about clutches to do much more than direct replacement as opposed to modification. Then again, I learn by doing, so it might be worthwhile... and I wouldn't have to worry about it the next time it happens.

Unread 09-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
enil01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was supposed to move to Bay Shore with my buddy, but I joined the Navy instead... boy was he pissed.

God luck tomorrow or whenever you do it. Seems like everyone's having the same problem all at the same time mine went last week we should have all gotten together and had a slave cylinder replacement party.

[CENTER]_|_
--X-X-(_)-X-X--
<->
<3 EP-3Es[/CENTER]
enil01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.