skyj's Version of M.O.R.E shock extension's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > skyj's Version of M.O.R.E shock extension's

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ever since I installed the 8.8 I have been looking for a cheaper solution to the M.O.R.E. shock extension brackets so I decided to make my own. All it cost me was some scrap 1/4 steel I had laying around, some welding wire, and a few hours of my night.This is how it started.

Then used a BFH and a vise. and Walla!!

I ran out of time but I will get a pic of them installed in mock up.
Still gotta order the new shocks

Unread 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those should do the trick. Are you expecting ~2" of extension out of them?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good job. They look like they'll take care of business. Are you going to weld the bottom end to the frame to keep it from rotating?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Guys! Both your jeeps have been an inspiration for mine. I think I am going to get about 3" of extension out of them it all depends on where they sit when I get the new shocks and and mounts on the axle. I did this to get the shock mount on the axle to sit flush with the bottom. I am using the shock mount that I cut off the Explorer spring plate and am going to weld it to the axle.
As Louie mentioned I will be welding these to the frame to keep them from rotating instead of bolting them.
I wanted to get the most out of my flex and since I run waggy springs I get a lot of droop out of them. The way I plan it the shock will be sitting at 20" at ride height. with the shocks I plan to get I will have about 4" of uptravel and about 6"-7" down ( I hope). I am running SUA so I want everything up and out of the way. I hope to get some pics up later this evening of them mocked up will my crappy old blown out shocks to give an idea of what it will look like.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job on those parts..

Just a heads up since I see you are running waggy springs. I had the MORE extensions on my Jeep and with the axle moved back (waggy springs) and the upper mount moved forward the shocks hardly used any travel at all. The good news was the shocks didn't limit the travel, the bad news was they didn't really do much of anything. As the springs compress, they get longer (eye to eye) so the axle moved back. Since the shocks were leaned so far forward it just made them ineffective in my experience.

I actually removed the rear shocks completely to drive to a friend's house when I was installing some longer shocks on a custom mount and I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the ride or handling. After the new mounts and shocks (angled toward the middle like this /\) I could feel a big difference as the shocks were actually working.

Here is a pic of my initial setup. Notice how far the shocks lean forward, and that is not at ride height
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bgredjeep you just confirmed my fears. I was thinking about swaping sides and making them angle back instead of forward. The only interference I see is on the drivers side the brakeline mount is in the way but that can be remedied by relocating that. thanks for the feedback I was concerned how it would ride at that angle.
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I climbed under the jeep last night and tried a few things. As bgredjeep explained the shocks will be sitting at an extreme angle. I swapped sides with the brackets and angled them back towards the axle doing this didnt help my ride height shock length and may hinder my droop. I will have to run a slightly shorter shock (maybe) I really need to flex it out real good and get a solid droop measurment before I commit. I havent ordered my shocks yet so when I get some solid measurments I will place an order.
shock-extension-edit-size.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Honestly, I don't think you would need or ever use the amount of shock travel you were initially planning for with a SUA setup. Not that it won't flex well, but that is a lot of travel, and since the shocks are inside the frame rails (not out by the wheels) you will have a lot more wheel travel than you have shock travel.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
survivor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Killer homebrew!
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright gonna pull the trigger on some new shocks I want bilsteins but right now budget constrains won't allow so I was thinking some Rancho's or Rubicon Express?they are the same price but the rancho's I can get local and RE will have to be ordered. (free shipping)I don't mind waiting the jeep is not my dd.
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, just got back from flexing it out in the garage. Lifted the passenger rear tire as far in the air as could before the hardtop hit the door opener and the driver tire was a few inches off the ground. bgredjeep was right not nearly the numbers I hoped for. With my jeep sitting so low I dont need a long travel shock nor do I have the room. The driveshaft will bind before I would ever use up the travel in my shocks. Im just having a hard time deciding on which shocks?????? I really like the RE shocks they seem to have better travel than others.
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A little article I found about mounting shocks and their angle. Thought some might find it helpful. http://www.4x4review.com/Features/Te...7/Default.aspx

"Mounting shocks at angles reduces the overall dampening effect of the shock. Reason being; the shock’s mechanisms will travel geometrically, less of a distance than that of the suspension system. Some vehicles (early model Land Cruisers, etc.) have their rear shocks mounted at about a 30-degree inward (inward = leaning toward the differential, not forward or aft-ward) angle, while others have their shocks mounted at a 20 degree angle or so forward and/or aft ward of the rear axle (e.g. Chevy, Jeep CJ’s, etc.). There are several reasons why this might be done. First, available space… regardless, if this is something you are going to do yourself, you’ll need to increase the static pressure of shock to mimic the shocks effectiveness of it being in a perpendicular location. Secondly, you can gain more suspension articulation than would normally be limited by the overall travel of the shock absorber if it were located perpendicular to that of mounting your shocks at an angle, if you don’t have room for a taller shock absorber. The charts here show the overall estimated reduced effectiveness of a raked shock absorber. However, these numbers should only be used as a rule of thumb as other factors such as the arc of the suspension cycle can factor in."
shock-genius-1.gif   shock-genius2.gif  
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just placed my order for some Rubicon Express shocks. I figured they are the same quality as the Rancho's and since I hate any red on my jeep I went with RE. It's funny I made my decision on looks. Well that and travel, the RE have just a few inches more travel. they are a grey shock with a black boot, which fits my black and grey jeep.
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good. If you need to know anything about shocks you should ask Joe Dillard. I believe he used to work for a shock company.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/e...d-them-623695/

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just got in from burning it all together. It worked out perfectly my shocks are sitting at a nice 20* past perpidicular it was tough welding the upper mounts in though. now just gotta paint it all and wait for the new shocks to show up.

outside looking in.

dont laugh at my upside down welds its tough laying on your back and trying to fit your head and helmet up in a tight spot and weld. I still havent mastered the overhead weld yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.