Skyjacker 3" Body Lift - Help and/or Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker 3" Body Lift - Help and/or Suggestions

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Tmp4of6
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker 3" Body Lift - Help and/or Suggestions

Have a 88 YJ (Base Model with 93" Wheel Base) Has a 1991 4.0 with a manual 5 speed. Running 32" x 11.5 x 15's. Looking to do a 3" body lift using Skyjacker's 3" Body Lift Kit # SJ-SS933 (Manual Transmission Only)

I am mechanically inclined but have never done a body lift, and don't want to get half way into it and start having problems. Would prefer to only do it once and do it right.

Do I need to be concerned about a new dropped pitman arm, an Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE), Cross Over Steering Conversion Kit, Engine Mounts, Transmission Mounts, Extended Brake Lines, or Driveshaft Length?

Just like painting, it all about the preparation. Any and all help, suggestions, and comments appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Tmp4of6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Camd94224
1989 CJ7 

Guys around here have had a 3 inch body lift and they say they get cracks in their floors and it isnt good... Plus a three inch body lift looks stupid... IMO
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

He's right. They are a bad idea. If you want to do it right, do a suspension lift. Its more work but worth it. The skyjacker kits come with most of the things you will need minus a SYE/CV driveshaft.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Tmp4of6
1991 YJ Wrangler 

3" Body Lift Help

Thanks for the info and help. After what you have said, think I am going to look into a suspension lift.
Tmp4of6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Body lifts are OK. 3'' does look retardEd. I got a 2'' body lift on mine and I've had no issues with it at all. But most people on this forum would prob agree not to go any higher than a 1.5 Body lift .
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
jeepcrazy93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 1" BL on mine and its fine but 3" your asking for issues. Whatever lift you decide on invest in some PB Blaster and let the bolts soak at least overnight. It will be your friend.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcrazy93 View Post
He's right. They are a bad idea. If you want to do it right, do a suspension lift. Its more work but worth it. The skyjacker kits come with most of the things you will need minus a SYE/CV driveshaft.
Don't buy skyjacker springs. Trust me on this.
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do a 1" BL and the rest with your suspension...that is the right way. Go with the Daystar lift and you'll only do it once. I went with the plastic spacers and I'll be replacing them before too long because I was being cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.