Skid Plates/Body Armor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skid Plates/Body Armor?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Skid Plates/Body Armor?

For a YJ with 0-2.5" Lift and 30-32" tires , what's the recommended order of installing skid plates/body armor? Meaning, if you were going to buy a piece of armor every 3 months, what would you buy first and last (or not buy at all)? This would be for a general purpose on/off road Jeep.

Some of this protection is very expensive, and I want to get the most bang for the buck. Also wouldn't want to add a lot of unnecessary weight.

I assembled this list from the Quadratec site:

Gas Tank (improved)
Oil Pan
Front Diff Cover (solid)
Rear Diff Cover (solid)
Front Diff Guard
Rear Diff Guard
Trans/TC (improved) or Tummy Tuck?
Steering Box
U-Bolt Skid Plates
Rocker Guards

Unread 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got a pic of where you wheel?
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF
For a YJ with 0-2.5" Lift and 30-32" tires , what's the recommended order of installing skid plates/body armor? Meaning, if you were going to buy a piece of armor every 3 months, what would you buy first and last (or not buy at all)? This would be for a general purpose on/off road Jeep.

Some of this protection is very expensive, and I want to get the most bang for the buck. Also wouldn't want to add a lot of unnecessary weight.

Gas Tank (improved)
Oil Pan
Front Diff Cover (solid)
Rear Diff Cover (solid)
Front Diff Guard
Rear Diff Guard
Steering Box
U-Bolt Skid Plates
Rocker Guards
I started with rock sliders, thicker skid plate and rear corner armor. I also recommend the oil pan skid. Everything else is useful too as I have most of what's on the list but u the ones I mentioned are more urgent IMO. By the way, if ur interested, I'm selling a brand new 1/4" thick tranny/TC skidplate. It's only 2" drop so it gives u an extra 1-1.5" of clearance over stock. I have the same one installed on my jeep, this one was ordered by accident so I'm just trying to get my money back. $120 (local pickup or shipping).

The skid plate is a builder's item. Which means that I have to build ur own transmission mounting area onto it. Easy if u can weld. I can do it for u for an extra $20. Let me know if ur Interested

image-1786566164.jpg

image-2986310098.jpg

Ediit: i forgot about the diff guards. The front on definitely first. This one takes a lotta hits.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Gas Tank (improved)
Oil Pan
Front Diff Cover (solid)
Rear Diff Cover (solid)
Front Diff Guard
Rear Diff Guard
Steering Box
U-Bolt Skid Plates
Rocker Guards
In that order...not necessarily.
Don't need both a diff cover AND a guard.
Steering box is really hard to hit.

Corners, flairs and roll cage and BUMPERS.

I would go
Diff covers
roll cage
Bumpers
Gas tank
Rockers

Full disclosure...My Jeep has armor plate. I like the A-50 armor best, it is tough. 3/8 steel works but is heavy. Aluminum is real expensive.

Look at what would PREVENT you from going home, and most vulnerable.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wranglers have some, notice I said "some" before everyone flames me, protection from the factory. With that said, my first purchase is always rock slides to protect the body. I don't wheel very wild, so I've never torn up anything underneath.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

For me bumpers were first followed shortly by differential covers/ guards. Not stacking them but I have a guard up front and a solid cover in the rear. I look at the first things you're going to hit with your jeep before you have a chance to back out and try again. However I fully agree with jeepster on covering the vitals.

I have a big heavy vest with level III soft armor and a 7.62 protection plate on the front, back and each sides. I also have this nice ach helmet that makes me feel good about being hit with an IED but I know its more protection from debris and the concussion and wouldn't stop a bullet. You don't see soldiers runnin around with boxing gloves because they might hurt their hands, do you? Nope. They wanna make it home. I think you should do the same.

However I don't know from what you need protecting. Show us where you wheel and what types of obstacles you encounter.
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Gas Tank (improved) Hit it alot , third
Oil Pan Make your own.. I like knowing its protected and I'm not going to dump my oil on the trail and damage my engine...http://www.4x4trax.net/OilPanSkid.htm when you get time
Front Diff Cover (solid) First
Rear Diff Cover (solid) First
Front Diff Guard
Rear Diff Guard These not so much if you have good covers
Trans/TC (improved) or Tummy Tuck? Bonus if you have $$$ or scrape your belly alot
Steering Box Sure why not, inexpensive
U-Bolt Skid Plates Ubolt flip kits
Rocker Guards Second
My 2 cents
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Got a pic of where you wheel?
Thanks for all the good feedback.

Here's one close park:
http://hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/

Really want to make a generally strong rig - "jack of all trades, master of none" so to speak. I'll be on roads 95% of the time, but want to have some fun too. If I want a rock crawler with 35's, I'll buy a better starting point, 4.0 liter, maybe a Rubicon (if I can say that in this forum!)
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bumpers, rocker guards and some differential protection would be my first purchases based on the pictures.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

My goodness, that place looks cool!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A follow up question on the rock sliders. I currently have some Aries nerf bars. I actually like the way they look, but I keep them mostly for the shorter, young attractive women that ride with me ;-).

Should I:

1) Remove them permanently
2) Keep them - better than no protection when wheeling
3) Remove them just for wheeling
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nerf bars?

We are prolly the wrong bunch to discuss nerf bars with.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen Nerf bars cause more damage to the bottom of a tub than if there wasn't any to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A follow up question on the rock sliders. I currently have some Aries nerf bars. I actually like the way they look, but I keep them mostly for the shorter, young attractive women that ride with me ;-).

Should I:

1) Remove them permanently
2) Keep them - better than no protection when wheeling
3) Remove them just for wheeling
image.jpg

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

my guess is u will decide yourself when u tag them on a rock and bend them up into your body, and crunch your nice new rocksliders....

get rid of them..... but thats just me... you said you had no lift so really its like getting into a civic kinda sorta no!!??

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.