Skid Plate removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skid Plate removal

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
mikai
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Skid Plate removal

Started working on my transfer case problems and when I started to remove the skid plate that covers the transfer case either the bolts broke off or they would just turn and not come out. After thinking about it and realizing that the plate had to come off, I took out the grinder and took matters into my on hands. After grinding off three of the five, the other two broke, the plate finally came off! My question is, How would the any of you guys advice me to put it back on? Thanks for all the advice ahead of time!

mikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a nut strip out in the frame on mine. I used a hole saw as close to the size of the nut for the bolt as I could get to cut what was left of it out. I then welded in a new nut to the frame in the hole I made. It's held up great for the past year.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
DMKJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You can grind off the nutsert and replace them. there are some write ups about fixing the nutsert in JF.
I chose to use welded nutsert.

There are also bolt in nutserts if welding is not an option. Some guys have also drilled through the frame (I personally did not like that option)
Patience is the tool I loose the most.
DMKJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
SmokeEater522
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i welded a nut to a washer and then welded that the the frame b/c i had to replace 4 out of 6 anyway, so i just did them all that way, seems to be holding up fine so far
SmokeEater522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is how to fix it....

Cut a window into the side of the frame

You can just score the top of the window so you can bend it up and out of the way...

Remove the captured nut that is spinning in the frame and weld in a new nut...

Then bend the window back down, weld it up, grind it smooth and paint. Repeat as needed...

For the ones that have broken bolts in them, you may need to cut the bottom of the frame out where the captured nut is and replace the nut and section of the frame. you can replace the bottom of teh frame with 1/8"x 2" steel strap. Cut it to fit the section you cut out, drill the new hole in the right place, and weld a new nut to the new section of steel strap.

Then weld the strap back into the frame with the nut, grind smooth and paint.

If you cant or dont weld..... Not really sure what to do.... This is the only way I have done them.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Cut a window into the side of the frame

To each their own, and I'm not bad mouthing what you did, but IMHO it would be way easier to drill the bottom hole to the size of the nut and simply weld it back in from the bottom. You could easily recess the nut a little by screwing in the bolt and holding the nut up a little to give it a little more frame bite when welding. That would be more than strong enough if the weld is done correctly.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with RockWorm. Cutting a big hole in the frame is not an option for me. I've seen too many frames that were professionally welded like that get stressed and crack right at the repair.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
gkainz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

damn y'all sure go thru a lot of work when you can just get a replacement nutsert from McMaster-Carr, Fastenal or even the dealer and just put the damn thing back in the original hole - no cutting, welding, dancing around ...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
SmokeEater522
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^looked at the dealer option and refused to pay $10 a freakin nut for them, so i broke out the grinder and welder...and din't have to cut any holes in the frame
SmokeEater522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good grief, you people make everything so complicated.
Ever hear of duct tape? It's upgraded now. No longer 40 mph tape, it's now 100 mph tape and everyone knows a YJ can't go over 92 mph. \
Duct tape is stronger than carbon fiber, 1/4" steel plate, and will definitely outlast a weld.
It's a space age material that wont rust, discolor, burn, or even get wet.
Simply tear a strip (it can only be torn by hand) that will span your frame rails and hold up your transfer case. Then tear a few more strips to use as a skid plate.
Voila, it's that easy.
Disclaimer: NOT REALLY! For those who might believe this, I'm joking. As you may have seen on TV, Don't try This At Home (or in your garage, shop, workplace...)

Happy Politically Correct Holidays,
Dan
Unread 12-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
DMKJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Patience is the tool I loose the most.
DMKJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/

Search is your friend...

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
deeremechanic
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRenegade View Post
Good grief, you people make everything so complicated.
Ever hear of duct tape? It's upgraded now. No longer 40 mph tape, it's now 100 mph tape and everyone knows a YJ can't go over 92 mph. \
Duct tape is stronger than carbon fiber, 1/4" steel plate, and will definitely outlast a weld.
It's a space age material that wont rust, discolor, burn, or even get wet.
Simply tear a strip (it can only be torn by hand) that will span your frame rails and hold up your transfer case. Then tear a few more strips to use as a skid plate.
Voila, it's that easy.
Disclaimer: NOT REALLY! For those who might believe this, I'm joking. As you may have seen on TV, Don't try This At Home (or in your garage, shop, workplace...)

Happy Politically Correct Holidays,
Dan
THAT IS GREAT!!!! REDNECK FOR LIFE
deeremechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
deeremechanic
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater522 View Post
i welded a nut to a washer and then welded that the the frame b/c i had to replace 4 out of 6 anyway, so i just did them all that way, seems to be holding up fine so far
I also did this becuase there was not alot of good frame steel there becuase it had rusted and thats why they spun out like that for me. i found that out when i replaced my tranfercase this past weekend. i beat the h*ll out of it to make sure it was gunna hold and it held up just fine.
deeremechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.