Skid Plate Nutserts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skid Plate Nutserts

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Skid Plate Nutserts

Ive had a single skid plate bolt broken in the frame nutsert since I bought the Jeep. Since I was doing a lot of other work I thought Id drill the bolt out and replace it. I got a nice hole through the bolt and was using a bolt extractor when it snapped in the hole. My bits are not sharp/hard enough to drill through the now broken extractor. I was reading this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/ about removing the nutserts which I think is my last resort. Here is a picture of what Im working with.

I have a couple of questions though.
1- Can you remove the nutserts with the bolt/extractor still in them?
2- What size nutsert should I use for a YJ?
3- Is it just the welds around the outside of the nutsert that is securing it?
Thanks in advance.

Other:LED Tails and Herculined
TA-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like you're probably better off just replacing that section. Can you weld or have buddies who might help with welding? It might be easier to just grind off the old one and weld a nut into the frame.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ thats what i did with all 6. Used hole saw to drill out old stuff, made 3/16 plates that were the same width as the frame with enough length to cover the new hole. Welded 1/2 nuts on one side and then welded the whole plate to the frame. I used the factory skid to line up all of the holes/plates.
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Really wasn't trying to cut the frame like that. I'll try and find a carbide or diamond tipped bit and maybe I can get that extractor out of there. Do YJs use the same size nutsert as the newer wrangler
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Been a while since I did mine but here is your question to #2
http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Nut...nt-Kit_c79.htm
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
TA-YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ah missed the size on that listing when I looked at that page earlier. Thanks for the redirect.
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I will be at the BlackMagicBrakes shop tomorrow. If you have something you'd like to know or order, call or PM Blaine (username: mrblaine) and tell him I said to take care of you.

Here's the number to BlackMagicBrakes/Blaine: 949-310-2727
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Joe100
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Used Nuts

I had the same problem on mine I plasma cut a small square hole in side of frame removed the nutserts on three off them and put a washer, lockwasher, and nut on a new bolts to fasten it back up the small elongated hole shouldn't have any structual damage to the frame. Its not a rock climer. when I get around to it I was going to weld the nut on and put a small piece of metal inserted in space cut out and weld, grind and repaint would be like new or better. Joe100
Joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Grind out the old nuts and weld in a 1/2" flanged nut in it's place and you're done.
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've got one of the rear nutserts that the PO nust have stripped out and drilled to 9/16. The threads are marginal and I probably won't have to fool with it, but I'm glad I saw this thread on how to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.