Skid plate mount driver side question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skid plate mount driver side question.

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Kobra33

Hello fellow jeepers

Quick question. I have a 95 yj for mudding purposes only. The driver side skid plate mount of the chassis is Swiss cheese(look at the picture) Was wondering if this is a bad idea for mudding. Live in Florida and there is nothing to crawl. Was planning on getting the auto rust replacement and getting it welded at the local shop. Here is the piece. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/auto-ru...t-art-99l.html

Any help would be great.

image-2177422879.jpg  
Kobra33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is that the frame? I would not drive that an inch if it is until you check out the rest of it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Kobra33

It's reinforced by a 3/8 plate bolted to the top of the frame. Driving it was fine. It's not my daily. The rest of the frame has been check out and aside from a small hole under the bottom shock mount. It is fine. It need a sandblast and some por15. But what I am worried about is the repair and how much I am compromising the frame by doing that.

Last edited by Kobra33; 04-23-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That frame is toast! Personally I would find another, but you could also bandaid it with the autorust kit. Only thing is I don't know if there is really any good metal to weld, rust will only burn holes.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Kobra33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301
That frame is toast! Personally I would find another, but you could also bandaid it with the autorust kit. Only thing is I don't know if there is really any good metal to weld, rust will only burn holes.
There is good metal around it
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra33 View Post
There is good metal around it
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Kobra33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Yea your denying my ability to figuring out whether there is good metal at the weld spots.

Is it going to affect my ability to mud with the Auto Rust kit?
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking you should replace sections of your frame that need it, instead of band aids.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Does the rust extend past the autorust pieces? It can probably be saved and be usable for your needs. But it's going to take a bit of work. With just a bit more work you could get another frame and not have to worry about it for another 20 years. Aren't these things fun!
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Kobra33

Not sure I want to pay the 1500++ to do a frame swap.

And I will probably want to get the Skid area all the way to the rear shock mount part of the frame as that will be the next thing to go....

Any thoughts will help sorry for being feisty I just want my baby back in shape to get her dirty again.
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra33 View Post
Not sure I want to pay the 1500++ to do a frame swap.

And I will probably want to get the Skid area all the way to the rear shock mount part of the frame as that will be the next thing to go....

Any thoughts will help sorry for being feisty I just want my baby back in shape to get her dirty again.
1500$ wow. I see them for 300$ - 500$ on craigslist all the time. A couple or 3 days of work and your done. HOw did you rust out a 95 they are completly galvinized. I mud with mine and hose it off afterwards. I still have not one spec of rust on mine.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
Kobra33

It's the labor, the frame is 350. I guess I did not see how bad it was. Cleaned it out after every session so I probably bought it thinned out 8 months ago

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.