skid plate falling off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > skid plate falling off

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

skid plate falling off

the bolts on my skid plate have rotted through the skid and now no longer grab when tightened any suggestions?

the one on the left actually fell out

CALUfootball64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From your post it's unclear where your problem is, you have several possibilities:
  • The weld-in nuts inside the frame have lost their threads from the rust, or the nuts themselves have fallen out because of rust around the nut.
  • The bolts have lost their threads from rust corrosion - this is normally coupled with the nut threads losing their threads.
  • The holes in the skid plate have enlarged from rust to the point that the bolts no longer hold it up.
If the nuts are "shot" one way or another, they need to be replaced. If there's enough steel left on the bottom of the frame, you can weld in some new nuts. If the holes for the nuts are also rotten, then you need to cut out the bad material, make a plate with a nut attached, weld that in, and then reinforce the seam. My preference is to cut a hole on the side of the frame, clean out the area, insert a plate with nut attached and weld this to the inside of the frame. Next, weld a patch over the hole on the side, grind it smooth and weld a reinforcement over.

If the bolts only are shot, get some new 1/2"NC - you won't get the tapered OEM bolts, so get the standard hex head (grade 5 or 8) with thick fender washers (1/8" thick or better - a fender washer is just a wide washer, close to 2" diameter for the 1/2" bolt). Use the same solution if the skid plate holes have enlarged.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
jeepnaked89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...nstall-390635/
[QUOTE=molshove;11431841]"I'll disregard the second half of your post with the understanding that this kind of **** flies in the YJ forum, cluttered with 16 year olds and infantile adults with no future - but we don't support it here."[/QUOTE]
jeepnaked89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i think i just need new nutserts for the frame, and a new skid plate or weld the bolt holes on the skid plate.

thanks guys
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
jeepnaked89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i have big thick washer like pieces of steel on my bolts works ok so far
[QUOTE=molshove;11431841]"I'll disregard the second half of your post with the understanding that this kind of **** flies in the YJ forum, cluttered with 16 year olds and infantile adults with no future - but we don't support it here."[/QUOTE]
jeepnaked89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

read posts 1 and 12. this is a good way in my opinion. its also my thread and jeep haha i was in the same position its a pain.
Fixing Rotted Out Skid Plate Mounts
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALUfootball64 View Post
i think i just need new nutserts for the frame, and a new skid plate or weld the bolt holes on the skid plate.

thanks guys
Just make sure you have enough steel around the holes to weld to. Normally when you loose the nuts, it has a lot to do with the frame rusting away around the welded in nuts, leaving very little to weld new nuts onto. That's why I prefer to cut on the side to weld a new plate and nut into each position. If you have a good "floor" to the frame around the bolt holes then welding in the nutserts is a viable option.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerm26 View Post
read posts 1 and 12. this is a good way in my opinion. its also my thread and jeep haha i was in the same position its a pain.
Fixing Rotted Out Skid Plate Mounts

this might be what i need to do, maybe not ill have to take it down and look.

very well could be a problem
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
cflex
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Skid plate falling off

So I have a 2000 wrangler sport, and yesterday I was driving and there was some clicking noise. When I looked at it I noticed my skid plate was basically off. I also noticed that the frame was rusted out, the bolts on the skid plate just fell through the holes on the frame.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Thank you for in advance
cflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

here is a video of a repair kit you can buy.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
cflex
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm guessing those are pretty expensive though?
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
drewyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

wield them in would work, however in the long run itll be nothing but a pain.
i would say buy a new skid,
then drill the holes in the frame out and re thread them to a bigger size ( nothing too big cause you want to bolts to fit threw the holes
in the skid plate)
drewyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
cflex
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is what it looks like down there
image.jpg  
Unread 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

man , thats some serious rust. you need to cut that all out of there and either by the kit or some steel and build it yourself. there about 150 per side. i would make my own because im cheap. but heres a link for u:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/auto-rust/wrangler-tj.htm
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i wonder what the rear shacke area looks like if theres that much rust there

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.