Size of helicoil for caliper bolt/stripped knuckle repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Size of helicoil for caliper bolt/stripped knuckle repair?

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Size of helicoil for caliper bolt/stripped knuckle repair?

Hey all:

Today I was putting on new brakes, and tie rod ends, and I found out upon reinstallation that, on one side, the knuckle threads are stripped - the ones that mate to the caliper bolts.

I think I'm going to fix it with a helicoil, but I don't know what size to buy. Would it be easy to buy a whole kit? Do I have to buy a whole kit? The guy at Pep Boys on the phone made it sound like they only sell individual sizes, and I have no idea what size to buy.

If nobody knows.. can I just measure my bolt at the threads to get the right size?

Thanks a lot,

Alheim

Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
kickin chicken

take the bolt with you and they will help you find the correct size.

jeremy
kickin chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
OhioYJ

I want to say its either M8x1.25 but it may have been M8x1.5. I had to do one in my steering knuckle too. I bought the kit, as you need a special tap for it, and you'll have to buy the drill bit separately. The drill bit the kit called for was some really odd ball ??/64 bit, that I had to go to a hardware store to find, the auto parts place didn't have it.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
davidm89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What size/ thread count are those? We could not figure it out when i had the same problem. I got it threaded into the hole but it wouldn't tighten. I had to use locktite, but there is only lateral force on those bolts, so it has worked well
davidm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ
I want to say its either M8x1.25
That's the one. You can get the kit at Ace Hardware for around $25. It will have everything you need.

zman
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
That's the one. You can get the kit at Ace Hardware for around $25. It will have everything you need.

zman
Thanks guys. I got the M8x1.25 at PepBoys (PermaCoil) and it worked perfectly - it's a really cool repair method and it's really neat how perfectly they are machined - the fit and strength is awesome.
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

saw this too late - I had that happen to me a few years ago - the problem i had with the helicoil is that it likes to back out after a while. I tried eveything on it to get it to stay put and even tried a few other ones - still wanted to back out. I ended up using red locktight on the coil to prolong the tension on the fix but it only lasted a while. Good luck just be sure to check it and carry a few extra caliper bolts with you.
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabearenegade
saw this too late - I had that happen to me a few years ago - the problem i had with the helicoil is that it likes to back out after a while. I tried eveything on it to get it to stay put and even tried a few other ones - still wanted to back out. I ended up using red locktight on the coil to prolong the tension on the fix but it only lasted a while. Good luck just be sure to check it and carry a few extra caliper bolts with you.
Thanks. What did you do or what are you going to do after the locktight fix - time for a new knuckle?
Unread 05-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Angelous
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Autozone carries oversized caliper bolts.

87 YJ - 2.5 - TJ Flare Swap - Rubicon's - no track bars -
Angelous is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.