JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Size of helicoil for caliper bolt/stripped knuckle repair? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/size-helicoil-caliper-bolt-stripped-knuckle-repair-416997/)

Alheim 05-20-2007 02:42 PM

Size of helicoil for caliper bolt/stripped knuckle repair?

Hey all:

Today I was putting on new brakes, and tie rod ends, and I found out upon reinstallation that, on one side, the knuckle threads are stripped - the ones that mate to the caliper bolts.

I think I'm going to fix it with a helicoil, but I don't know what size to buy. Would it be easy to buy a whole kit? Do I have to buy a whole kit? The guy at Pep Boys on the phone made it sound like they only sell individual sizes, and I have no idea what size to buy.

If nobody knows.. can I just measure my bolt at the threads to get the right size?

Thanks a lot,

Alheim

kickin chicken 05-21-2007 08:05 AM

take the bolt with you and they will help you find the correct size.

jeremy

OhioYJ 05-21-2007 01:28 PM

I want to say its either M8x1.25 but it may have been M8x1.5. I had to do one in my steering knuckle too. I bought the kit, as you need a special tap for it, and you'll have to buy the drill bit separately. The drill bit the kit called for was some really odd ball ??/64 bit, that I had to go to a hardware store to find, the auto parts place didn't have it.

davidm89 05-21-2007 04:20 PM

What size/ thread count are those? We could not figure it out when i had the same problem. I got it threaded into the hole but it wouldn't tighten. I had to use locktite, but there is only lateral force on those bolts, so it has worked well

zman 05-21-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioYJ
I want to say its either M8x1.25

That's the one. You can get the kit at Ace Hardware for around $25. It will have everything you need.

zman

Alheim 05-22-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman
That's the one. You can get the kit at Ace Hardware for around $25. It will have everything you need.

zman

Thanks guys. I got the M8x1.25 at PepBoys (PermaCoil) and it worked perfectly - it's a really cool repair method and it's really neat how perfectly they are machined - the fit and strength is awesome.

Ustabearenegade 05-22-2007 11:40 AM

saw this too late - I had that happen to me a few years ago - the problem i had with the helicoil is that it likes to back out after a while. I tried eveything on it to get it to stay put and even tried a few other ones - still wanted to back out. I ended up using red locktight on the coil to prolong the tension on the fix but it only lasted a while. Good luck just be sure to check it and carry a few extra caliper bolts with you.

Alheim 05-22-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ustabearenegade
saw this too late - I had that happen to me a few years ago - the problem i had with the helicoil is that it likes to back out after a while. I tried eveything on it to get it to stay put and even tried a few other ones - still wanted to back out. I ended up using red locktight on the coil to prolong the tension on the fix but it only lasted a while. Good luck just be sure to check it and carry a few extra caliper bolts with you.

Thanks. What did you do or what are you going to do after the locktight fix - time for a new knuckle?

Angelous 05-23-2007 05:46 AM

Autozone carries oversized caliper bolts.

The time now is 12:08 PM.