single point injection fuel system problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > single point injection fuel system problems

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
humboldtjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

single point injection fuel system problems

i have a 1990 wrangler 2.5L with the single point injection. i rebuilt the whole jeep a few years ago including the fuel system. ever since then i can only use half of my tank. it cuts out and dies at about 100 miles roughly 9 gallons. i have tried everything. i bought 2 new pumps new lines a new tank new filters everything.. i am tired of fillin up with fuel everyday does anyone have any ideas?

humboldtjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Douglas S.

That's strange, what makes you think it has something to do with the TBI? Could there be a hose in the tank that isn't reaching the bottom? Is the tank ventilated properly?
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
humboldtjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well im not sure its the tbi but i just replaced the hose inside the tank about 2 months ago. and i also revented the tank. i have a parts jeep same year and engine its identical. i stole the vent hoses of of it. i have a new tank new lines new pump new filter new vent lines new seals new fuel cap everything. i have replace everything from the tbi back. its almost like its picking up air. it will cut out then it will restart but as soon as i take a turn its cutting out again. and its alway runs out after it has used 9.5 gallons. i have asked all the local shops and no one has any idea. i did take all the smog gear off of it. that could possibly be the reasoning too.
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtjeeper View Post
well im not sure its the tbi but i just replaced the hose inside the tank about 2 months ago. and i also revented the tank. i have a parts jeep same year and engine its identical. i stole the vent hoses of of it. i have a new tank new lines new pump new filter new vent lines new seals new fuel cap everything. i have replace everything from the tbi back. its almost like its picking up air. it will cut out then it will restart but as soon as i take a turn its cutting out again. and its alway runs out after it has used 9.5 gallons. i have asked all the local shops and no one has any idea. i did take all the smog gear off of it. that could possibly be the reasoning too.

single point injection = TBI, throttle body injection.. same thing

do you remember what the intank pump looks like?

similiar to this setup ? this pump and acc bolt onto the tank cap and go inside the tank..

if so? see that hose? that hose extends the pickup down further into the tank.. your hose is probably too short.. lengthen it till the filter is about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the tank, its ok if the hose isnt clamped to the railing of the cap, as long as its clamped onto the pump and the strainer clamped onto the hose good.. everyting will be fine..
getimage-1-.jpg  
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
humboldtjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i actually checked that and replaced the hose recently. when i toke it apart i did check how far the assembly went down and it was practically touching the bottom of the tank. im almost certain its not the pump assembly. but then again it doesnt seem logical that it would be in the tbi end of the system either.
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtjeeper View Post
i actually checked that and replaced the hose recently. when i toke it apart i did check how far the assembly went down and it was practically touching the bottom of the tank. im almost certain its not the pump assembly. but then again it doesnt seem logical that it would be in the tbi end of the system either.
hmmmmm... thats intersting.....

off i go to brainstorm
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
humboldtjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah im out of ideas. if you find something let me know please
Unread 03-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
don2510
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Had a car that would do the same thing. Found that the nipple on the inlet side the the pump had a hairline crack in it and when the gas level got below the bottom of the pump, it would suck air and cut out. I would pull the pump and check all the connections below the pump (clamps, hose for pin hole, nipple for cracks).
don2510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
humboldtjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah thats possible because the fuel would shift to the side around turns. ill check that out thanks
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
humboldtjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

tried it thats not it... but i blew my transfer case again so the fuel is the least of my worries now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.