Single axle conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Single axle conversion

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Single axle conversion

I'm sure this has been brought up already however I'm tired of going into the search and coming back with ten thousand of the subject I'm not looking for. Anyway, so I've been wheeling a couple times and four isn't working low or high. I come home change the transfer case fluid and it works again so I know there is an issue with water getting into the t-case I can fix that but when we were looking at the front axle yesterday had one of my buddies fully explain to me the process of the front actuator set up with the Vacuum lines. I don't want to rely on a fickle vacuum to get me out of a tight spot so here comes the question what is the best process for deleting this I was thinking of a single axel conversion but wanted some input as to process and parts that will do the trick.

Pullsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Mike
oooh you almost had it

posi-lok might help, they're around $220 for an off the shelf unit or for a do-it-yourself type here's the link-

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/

HTH
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

TJ passenger side axle, new seals as well. Alloy grease seals, balanced front drive shaft... OR posi lok. Those are the options
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to do it on the cheap, pull out the vac housing lock it in and jam it in place with a clamp or something. A lot of ways to rig it. Ive seen people slit tubeing and put it over the rail and secure it with a clamp or even duct tape. LOL If you dont have something duct taped, your not wheeling hard enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of putting in the tj axle, don't get me wrong I like the posi lock that guy wrote up but I want to have something solid that way I don't have to worry about it slipping or pulling apart in anyway.
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Dlambright
1995 YJ Wrangler 

pull the collar fork out, drill a small hole in it, put a bolt and nut in it to keep the collar locked together. you wont break the collar no matter how hard you wheel. It will cost you 30cents if you dont have a nut and bolt.
Dlambright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlambright View Post
pull the collar fork out, drill a small hole in it, put a bolt and nut in it to keep the collar locked together. you wont break the collar no matter how hard you wheel. It will cost you 30cents if you dont have a nut and bolt.
I feel like it would be more reliable if i just sway in the single axle set-up
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullsout View Post
I feel like it would be more reliable if i just sway in the single axle set-up
you weren't willing to search and were given firsthand advice, why knock it? Both changes are good solutions, but frankly, he's right, his solution is the easiest based on what you were asking.
Unread 07-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a way that cost nothing to do if your front drive shaft is balanced. If not less than $100 for balancing. But with what you are after if the drive shaft is not balanced then either way it will cost that.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/v...ap-way-788543/
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
76_iron
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Here is a way that cost nothing to do if your front drive shaft is balanced.
This is what I did, works great.
76_iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
jeep16
1990 YJ Wrangler 

tj passenger shaft. put the front end on jack stands. remove front wheels. pull the frong shafts. take out the diff by taking out the 4 bolts. take out the vacume assembly. with a broom stick and a hammer remove the outer axle seal. buy a TJ inner axle seal and put it in that location. (i used a broom handle and a large socket and a hammer to set the new seal from the driver side). put the diff back in, followed by the axles. i gutted the vacume unit on the axle and plugged the hole so i could use the housing to seal the axle. remove all the vac. lines, and plug off the 4 wholes in the rubber fitting on the transfer case with 4 screws or whatever. Thats how i did mine and it is fine. sometimes you get away without balancing your driveshaft, mine seems to be okay.
jeep16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm sure this has been brought up already however I'm tired of going into the search and coming back with ten thousand of the subject I'm not looking for. Anyway, so I've been wheeling a couple times and four isn't working low or high. I come home change the transfer case fluid and it works again so I know there is an issue with water getting into the t-case I can fix that but when we were looking at the front axle yesterday had one of my buddies fully explain to me the process of the front actuator set up with the Vacuum lines. I don't want to rely on a fickle vacuum to get me out of a tight spot so here comes the question what is the best process for deleting this I was thinking of a single axel conversion but wanted some input as to process and parts that will do the trick.
the easiest, cheapest, and quickest(<15min) option is to permanently move the shift fork over with the e-clips.

the best option is to install a TJ single shaft and the correct size axle seal.

The cable actuated systems can be trouble. In fact I have only seen people that have issues with them; cable break, needs adjustment, knob breaks, have to drive forward and reverse a few times while pulling, etc.... many of JF have had good experiences with them but I can't speak to that.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just out of curiosity why couldn't I just buy another driver side axle shaft and put in on passenger side
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just out of curiosity why couldn't I just buy another driver side axle shaft and put in on passenger side
Because they're not the same size.

If you go with TJ shafts, swap both sides so the u-joints with be the same and stronger. Unless you just want to carry two different sizes for spares. Earlier XJ's with one piece shafts used the same joints as pre '95 YJ's, I've got a set of those for spares. I believe '95 + XJ's also have the larger joints, that's what mine (not the spares) came out of anyway and they are.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet that's what I was afraid of thanks for the info

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.