sigh.. here goes... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sigh.. here goes...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
offroadjunkie95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sigh.. here goes...

So now I'm sureppl are going to say. "simple, usethe search engine and don't bring up an old subject." I DID. and I read.. and I'm not satisfied with my answers.. so a little about me.

95 4.0L yj
SOA
2.5 bds springs
2 inch BL
Ford 8.8 rear end detroit locker
SYE NP231 J
custom driveshaft from pats driveline
dana 30 front vac disconected posi put in
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52435_0X_PG.htm
35x14.5x15 boggers
this next part will throw you off cuz youll think you know the question till I ask it ..
....forgive my lack of punctuation and run on sentences if it happens..
now for the issue....my steering has been wandering on my recently. I've never had this before.. so... I notice onetie rod end is pooched, I buy both new ones.and draglink ends. put them on.. I'm a noob now i can hardly turn left. and I notice my pitman arm moves..like wiggles on the shaft almost like the hole is to big now this may be hardto understand and ill try to get a video and post on youtube and post link tomorrow.. the shop guy tells me he did an alignment and stuffs my turning is fine now but it still wanders ALOT. i show him the wiggly pitman arm he says oh its loose and tourques it on bottoms the nut out even. still wiggles but the shafton the gearbox isnt moving its just the arm.tels me its my steering gearbox.. 450$ later from canadian tire bam i gots me one of these http://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_03.htm
now I havent even put it in yet I started researching more and more and this one guy on the forum here somewhere said his pitman arm was wiggly but the nut holdnig it on was tight.. sounded like mine. he says he got some big a** washers or lock washer and put it on before the nut.. so I did that and adjusted my steering box. and eureaka mysteering improved 90% for about a month.. now it is getting worse again slowly i do believe its pitman arm wear or the shaft coming from the box i have not pulled the arm to look yet..mayeba today if the rain stops. at least i have the new parts though.well most of them, i still need a new arm .. so yea that problem being solved i have new gearbox and my steering willl benice. now i was like ok i'm SOA and i have highsteer right now I"m running a pitman arm from a 4 inch lift kit with it so i was trying to search what the best arm to use since im buying a new one for the new box and dont want to buy one of eash size to see what works best hahah and this is the horse$#!t i encountered...

something about Z box steering and its not truy high steer and true highsteer brings your tie rod up and ppl with DD rigs dont use ZBOX with drop arm and blah blah blah well on that note there was not much for pics.so idont even really understand if i understand right O_o. i will be taking pics tonight hopefully and posting tomorrow of my steering but here is the kit i have i found it online is this what you ppl are calling zbox and if so ive never had a problem ive taken my rig on 3000 km road trips on 37 inch iroks http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/37190.pdf now my spring on the passenger side is between the drag link and the tie rod meaning mytierod is below my springs.. thats the installation heres the kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/16990_06_07.htm
and thats the only kind of high steer i could find... but yea just now wanting to know what the best arm to use wil be? and ill get pics up asap when my camera gets home, lol
in the meantime I obviously need steering explained to me hahah.

all questions and comments are welcome. thanks

offroadjunkie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Most on here dont have time for giant stories on tech issues.
List your issue up front, then let us pick how much of the book you write to see if it contains any real answers.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah .....

jb4x4 make a highsteer kit

rocky road makes one... ( I use it)\

and the teraflex kit u have....

what the hell is your questions exactly

yes with a SOA as u may have researched if u did, has to be on with a SOA or it drives like ****...

steering components should be parallel to your front axle or as close as u can get......

and why keep the BL.... I would ditch it as your high enuff already

rocky road kit, notice the steering is parallel to axle..... the RR kit moves everything above the spring, the JB and teraflex kit dont......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
offroadjunkie95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just trying to give the whole story so no one is guessing and asking a million questions
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
offroadjunkie95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
offroadjunkie95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah .....

jb4x4 make a highsteer kit

rocky road makes one... ( I use it)\

and the teraflex kit u have....

what the hell is your questions exactly

yes with a SOA as u may have researched if u did, has to be on with a SOA or it drives like ****...

steering components should be parallel to your front axle or as close as u can get......

and why keep the BL.... I would ditch it as your high enuff already
isthis high steer or zbox steering????

looks parallel to me just wondering what drop of arm to get anywhere i ask i get shrugs... just like how the dealership here shrugged at my driveshaft when the cardan joint went in it and i had to phone nsor to be directed to pats drivline to have one made..

yea ive been through a few lifts, yea i kept the BL .. Why.. becuase of clearance when working on my rig.
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunkie95 View Post
isthis high steer or zbox steering????

looks parallel to me just wondering what drop of arm to get anywhere i ask i get shrugs... just like how the dealership here shrugged at my driveshaft when the cardan joint went in it and i had to phone nsor to be directed to pats drivline to have one made..

yea ive been through a few lifts, yea i kept the BL .. Why.. becuase of clearance when working on my rig.
I knew it... I miss mine for that reason...

anyhow I dont know WTF a zbox steering is unless they mean a Z shaped drag link, which gives us clearancde to clear your springs when turnnig, but not the greatest idea....but anyhow, I didnt use a drop pitman arm, i used factoy one with the RR kit "I got..... u shouldn't need a drop one with a highsteer, only real way to tell is put it on and see how it all lines up.... u will need to make some adjustments

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
offroadjunkie95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I knew it... I miss mine for that reason...

anyhow I dont know WTF a zbox steering is unless they mean a Z shaped drag link, which gives us clearancde to clear your springs when turnnig, but not the greatest idea....but anyhow, I didnt use a drop pitman arm, i used factoy one with the RR kit "I got..... u should need a drop one with a highsteer, only real way to tell is put it on and see how it all lines up.... u will need to make some adjustments
in other words.. do what I didn't want to do and order one of each size lol..
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunkie95 View Post
in other words.. do what I didn't want to do and order one of each size lol..
no dont u have the original one somewhere.... if not find a wrecker and get a used factory one cheap.... go from there

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
offroadjunkie95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no dont u have the original one somewhere.... if not find a wrecker and get a used factory one cheap.... go from there
unfortunately i dont have to original it was cut off and thrown out..and no wrecker anywhere near here has a jeep lol.. but we can just call this a dead thread until I post a link for a youtube vid that way it can explain itself..
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just pics. That's all we need.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.