shuddering AX-15 tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shuddering AX-15 tranny

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-26-2001, 02:56 AM   #1
evilpsych

shuddering AX-15 tranny

ok.. just noticed this today.. while driving.. a high pitched metal on metal sounding noise when i'm going between 15-40 mph.. it's only when the engine is under heavy load, it's not RPM dependent, so i'm guessing it's between the tranny output shaft and the rear end.. also. the tranny shudders a little bit between 2-4th gears.. is it time for a new tranny? a clutch? i'm hoping it can be solved with a gear oil change (dont think it's ever been done on the vehicle) and maybe a tranny mount replacement or U-joint.. *sigh* i just hope it's something simple and doesnt required a new tranny or transfer case..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
johnnykind
1988 YJ Wrangler 

did you ever figure it out im having the same problem, ???
johnnykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

What the OP described sounds like a slipping clutch.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

What the OP described sounds like a slipping clutch.
Is that the metal on metal sound under load or shuddering? Mine shudders from time to time, I had the oil changed in it and its done it once or twice since.

I was on the trail the other day when something odd happened to me. I was in 1st with 4lo engaged. I had my foot with the clutch pushed "in" and started to slowly let out, but the jeep didnt move. The shifter was humming and sort of made a grinding sound. I put the clutch back "in" (toward the firewall), shifted the trans back into N, then back into 1st. The jeep than took off.

Does that mean my clutch is going out? Syncro gears? Transfer case?
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2001 lol,
Unread 06-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
alfredrich

Just try once to resolve this problem by changing the engine oil, to the best of the knowledge the shuddering of the tranny can be solved by doing that. Even then if the problem persists then consult a dealer.
alfredrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Is that the metal on metal sound under load or shuddering? Mine shudders from time to time, I had the oil changed in it and its done it once or twice since.

I was on the trail the other day when something odd happened to me. I was in 1st with 4lo engaged. I had my foot with the clutch pushed "in" and started to slowly let out, but the jeep didnt move. The shifter was humming and sort of made a grinding sound. I put the clutch back "in" (toward the firewall), shifted the trans back into N, then back into 1st. The jeep than took off.

Does that mean my clutch is going out? Syncro gears? Transfer case?
Hard to tell. It is possible you weren't totally in gear, or your T case wasn't fully engaged and it was slipping, like the T case linkage was out of adjustment a bit. Depends a lot on whether or not your problem is reproducable over time, but I can't narrow it down much.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Hard to tell. It is possible you weren't totally in gear, or your T case wasn't fully engaged and it was slipping, like the T case linkage was out of adjustment a bit. Depends a lot on whether or not your problem is reproducable over time, but I can't narrow it down much.
I'll keep an eye out and report back if/when it happens again. I've had the jeep since late Jan and its done that twice since Ive had it. The first time, I backed up into my buddies driveway to drop off some stuff. I left the jeep running, trans was in neutral and tcase was in (2HI). When I got ready to leave, I couldnt get the jeep to go into first. There was just a humming noise and some grinding. I than put the jeep in reverse (it went in fine), backed up a little, then shifted into first and it went without any trouble.

Thats when I decided to take it to the tranny shop for a fluid change, which they did. They said everything looked fine, then this thing happened on the trail. Could just be things "not meshing up" properly from time to time (as circumstances would have it). I just want to make sure my tranny isnt about to drop....
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok all, so I changed my trans mount, which was shot. We'll see if it takes care of the "humming" gear issue.

After the replacement, I drove for about 10 miles in medium traffic (stop and go). Ive noticed that on slower speed takeoff (if I give it some gas, its fine, if its a "lower RPMs" it seems to do it more), the jeep will shudder and "buck" violently. It only last for a few seconds and then its fine again. Its always right at takeoff. Its not every takeoff, but at least once or twice while Im out.

My jeep has about a 3" body lift on it from a PO. Do I need to do a tcase drop to see if that fixes the shudder problem?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.