Show your sprung over yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Show your sprung over yj

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Bighaydn

Show your sprung over yj

hey guys, before I go spring over I've got some questions. I have 4 inch lift springs with some body and shackle lift too on 35s. Can I pick up some stock yj springs, spring it over and still run some 35s with room to flex? Would it be wise to keep my current shackles or pickup some stock yj ones as well? What have you guys done?

Also I'm asking for photos of your guys jeep so I can get an idea of what mine will look like if I go this route. Thanks!

Bighaydn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most guys who ask about going SOA haven't done nearly enough research. The short answer is yes stock springs will work, not knowing how long your current shackles are I couldn't say on those, but stock ones or a little longer would be fine as well. I can't acess my pictures right now, but there are plenty of them on the forum if you search for posts by my name.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

If it were me I`d be doing a lot more research. Starting with the use of factory YJ springs which were designed for a SUA application not SOA. If nothing else they are best 20 years old and have likely lost plenty of spring rate.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Right, do more research. Which springs to use is about 9th on the list of things you have to consider and prepare for (financially, logistically, and otherwise).
Unread 12-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighaydn View Post
Can I pick up some stock yj springs, spring it over and still run some 35s with room to flex?
Yes, with the caveat of potential fender work, bumpstop limits, shock work, brakeline work, drive shaft work, wheel offset and tire width.

Quote:
Would it be wise to keep my current shackles or pickup some stock yj ones as well?
You didn't mention how long they are between bolt hole mounts - so your question doesn't provide enough info to answer very well.

Quote:
What have you guys done?
Info is listed in my sig or you can click on the upside down triangle next to the year model of my YJ for a partial list.

Quote:
Also I'm asking for photos of your guys jeep so I can get an idea of what mine will look like if I go this route. Thanks!
Old set-up on 35's:

Recent set-up on 37's:
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Bighaydn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
Yes, with the caveat of potential fender work, bumpstop limits, shock work, brakeline work, drive shaft work, wheel offset and tire width. You didn't mention how long they are between bolt hole mounts - so your question doesn't provide enough info to answer very well. Info is listed in my sig or you can click on the upside down triangle next to the year model of my YJ for a partial list. Old set-up on 35's: Recent set-up on 37's:

Wow that's a bad *** jeep! I really dig your custom cage too! An sorry bout the info, I'm pretty far off from this project but I'd like to get an idea of what parts I should start picking up.
Unread 12-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So now I'm back on my home computer.....

I used 2" BDS springs, MORE 5/8's boom shackles, and am on 35's. It's always a work in progress, but the big thing is do the research and figure out where you want it end up. I'm happy with mine, but if I were to do it again there are little things I would've done different and even though it's been "done" for several years, I'll be going to full widths and XJ bastard pack springs before too awful long.

Here are a few pics.

Unread 12-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Bighaydn

What full widths are you gonna go?
Unread 12-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have found that Spring over (SOA) applications all require good springs like the Rubicon Express SOA spring, the eyelets are under the spring, giving you a well arched but low sitting spring, I used their 6 leaf sets on my own YJ. They are 1.5" taller then stock and will have no issues with 35" tires. SOA's are prone to excessive rear axle wrap, they need an anti wrap devise. Use stock length or close to length after market shackle, long shackles cause excessive side leverage resulting in cracked frames, hangers and cause early spring bushing failure. Steering has to be done right. Never run your drag link under the right hand spring. There are many high steer parts available for your Jeep no matter what front axle you use. A front sway bar will make your Jeep handle well on the street, disconnects should be used if you are going off road.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Bighaydn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke
I have found that Spring over (SOA) applications are require good springs like the Rubicon Express SOA spring, the eyelets are under the spring, giving you a well arched but low sitting spring, I used their 6 leaf sets on my own YJ. They are 1.5" taller then stock and will have no issues with 35" tires. SOA's are prone to excessive rear axle wrap, they need an anti wrap devise. Use stock length or close to length after market shackle, long shackles cause excessive side leverage resulting in cracked frames, hangers and cause early spring bushing failure. Steering has to be done right. Never run your drag link under the right hand spring. There are many high steer parts available for your Jeep no matter what front axle you use. A front sway bar will make your Jeep handle well on the street, disconnects should be used if you are going off road.

The reason I was thinking about stock springs was because I'm sittin on 4 inch lift springs now and I feel like that you be to much for a spring over. But I will look into some tougher springs that sit around the same height as a stock spring when I do my spring over
Unread 12-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
tookie

Didn't really take pics while I was doing mine, but I found an extra set of stock springs for
basically next to nothing, opened them up and cut just the eyes off the main leafs.
Then I used a torch, heated up the clip on another stock set to open it, and installed the long
spring I had cut off just under the main leaf, it supports the pack to avoid negative arch.
Did this about 5 years ago, flexes like crazy, and no sagging so far. This is it with 36" tires,
It's a little taller than I'd really like, but I can rub the front tires occasionally, so I'm hesitant
to lower it any.
And you will definitely need an anti-wrap bar.

tookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stock ish yj front springs with added mains, bastard pack xj rear springs. Me on 40s. white yj has 1.5 re leaves and 37 km2s. he is taller than me by quite a bit.

Jeep to left has 4in SUA and I think 1in lift shackles on new 35 mtrs.

Unread 12-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What full widths are you gonna go?
The ones from the white one in Chris's picture here. D44/D60 from a '79 F250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
Unread Yesterday, 12:28 AM   #14
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The guys up top have already talked about the technical aspect of a SOA but I'll post some picks of a less awesome rig with a SOA and 33's. You were talking about 35's but this may give you an idea about some of the nip/tuck that you might need.

()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #15
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

image-2389059902.jpg

This is my set up. Stock leafs front & rear on SOA with a ladder bar. Hi-steer and 10/12" travel shocks, and lengthened sway bar disconnects. Tires are 35s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.