show me pics of your yj 4.2 with a weber carb on it... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > show me pics of your yj 4.2 with a weber carb on it...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
liftd87wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

show me pics of your yj 4.2 with a weber carb on it...

i am still having problems with my weber i adjusted it correct and a week later its back to running and boging out... i have the fuel filter with ther return line on it.. it was running really sluggish and when i put the fuel pressure regulator on it it aparently wasnt allowing fuel to go through it to the carb..it was running back the return line to the tank..i replaced the fuel filter with one inlet and one outlet. i blocked the return line off. and with the new fuel pressure regulator on it still wasnt allowing fuel to run through it.. i cant figure it out .. i need someone to send me pics and explain what you did when you put the weber carb on...if not my ride is going to the dealership and i wont see her for a long time ..... please some one help.. i want to take wheelin this weekend but it will sit unless i get it resolved.... thanks for looking at my thread

liftd87wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hello

First of all reinstall your fuel return line, check your ignition timing and make sure you follow the procedure for setting best idle speed and mixture.

If you have a pressure gauge, measure the fuel pressure you have on the line coming into the carb.

Make sure your vacuum lines are routed properly as well as the PCV and canister lines. Run a search for the vacuum diagram with a Weber

If you have not performed the Nutter Bypass, it is time to do it, the Jeep will never run fine with a Weber until you do it, this procedure will take the emissions computer down. Run a search for this as well

Installing a Weber is somewhat of a modification specially because you need to remove the emissions computer, these procedures are easy, we just did this at my buddy's house on Friday, but you will need a few tools and to run a bit more research.

When you have more specific questions, we will be glad to help more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftd87wrangler View Post
i am still having problems with my weber i adjusted it correct and a week later its back to running and boging out... i have the fuel filter with ther return line on it.. it was running really sluggish and when i put the fuel pressure regulator on it it aparently wasnt allowing fuel to go through it to the carb..it was running back the return line to the tank..i replaced the fuel filter with one inlet and one outlet. i blocked the return line off. and with the new fuel pressure regulator on it still wasnt allowing fuel to run through it.. i cant figure it out .. i need someone to send me pics and explain what you did when you put the weber carb on...if not my ride is going to the dealership and i wont see her for a long time ..... please some one help.. i want to take wheelin this weekend but it will sit unless i get it resolved.... thanks for looking at my thread
You do not need a fuel pressure regulator. Remove it and reinstall the filter with the return line on it.

Here is a couple pictures of my 90YJ 258 with a weber 32/36 and no fuel pressure regulator

Also as Fernando stated make sure your vac hoses are setup correctly. This chart helped me out alot.

Unread 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Yep! Those regulators cause more fits than they fix. Here's mine without the regulator. This is how your filter should be oriented...

Shawn

Jeep Carburetors
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Here are a couple of mine although one is a '92 2.5 reworked with Mopar pistons, cam kit and timing set. It's my Bad Boy, primarily off road use. The other is the AMC 4.2 in a daily driver... but neither is in a YJ nor do they have a FPR. Never have I used one with many years of running a Weber.

Mount them up, adjust and tune them to spec. they'll be good to go. A lot of adjust-ability to adapt the carb to your need. Both of these have the Redline Weber Viton needle assembly part #79519.200. Or you have the same needle supplied in the repair/build kit #92.3237.05. I recommend that having the kit on hand gives you a better value.

Here is a number to call if you or any of the readers care to set your Weber up with it.
877-333-3130 B.F.I.C. aka Burbank Fuel Injection Company, these folks are VERY friendly and customer service orientated.

That needle will withstand all that an OEM pump can deliver when used with the OEM fuel return system. The greatest thing about that needle assembly is knowing that you have control of both the level as well as the flow into the bowl to suit your style of driving the Jeep.

I recall your posting to another thread last week that after adjusting your carb all things seemed great . Can you describe what was done to it or what seems to have changed since then?
nlvr-vacuum-test-nipples-fuel-filter.jpg   fuel-filter2.jpg   fuel-filter.jpg  
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
liftd87wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i reset all the adjustment needles to factory spec and had the jeep timed a week later the timing stayed the same and the jeep was back to running really rich and sluggish would that be because i havent done the nutter bypass yet? people are telling me not to do the bypass because it screwed theres up... they followed the diagram on the internet.. the had trouble with it starting up..
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
BigOrange90YJ

Since you installed a weber you have pretty much disabled everything the computer controls. When you do the nutter you are bypassing the computer from your ignition module to your distributor. The benefit of this is so your computer can't change your timing. The reason the computer would change your timing is because it is freaking out because it isn't in control anymore when you installed the weber. You need to do the nutter bypass, that could be your timing issue.

Last edited by BigOrange90YJ; 04-01-2010 at 08:34 PM..
BigOrange90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
liftd87wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

awesome i will have to do the nutter bypass today
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftd87wrangler View Post
awesome i will have to do the nutter bypass today
sweet, just make sure you twist those wires together good. What i did was hold one end of the wires down on a table with a C clamp and then i put the other end of the wires in the front of an electric hand drill and just turn on the drill in either direction and it will make you a nice twisted pair of wires.
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
liftd87wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

good idea on that one
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
jcooklock
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i'm curious about the nutter bypass, I just want to make sure I know how to do it so I wont screw it up.
jcooklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
BigOrange90YJ

Just do a quick search on it. There are some pretty detaile write ups on the subject.
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
kenora
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that you do not need the fuel pressure regulator. My YJ just runs terrible with it so ripped it off did some re-adjustments and runs great! Big difference in top end power, Now I guess I will Nutter the beast.
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Snowrats
1988 YJ Wrangler 

To bigorange90yj where does the top hose on the front of your carb go too?
Snowrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
c5wagner
1989 YJ Wrangler 

should have got a mc 2100 or 2150
Big Red Money Pit: 1989 Base YJ, 4.2l, MC 2150, nv3550, nv241or with 4:1 low, 2003 Rubicon f D44 & r ford 8.8 with 4.10 gearing, Skyjacker 4" double military wrap springs, RC perf. 2.2 shocks, homebrew 1/2" lift boom shackles, 31x10.5r15 Treadwright Guard Dogs.
c5wagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.