Should I be worried? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I be worried?

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
tcdill111
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Should I be worried?

Have a 92 4.0 i6 170k manual.

Has a tick noise when idling then goes away when I drive. Or I just can't hear it. I blew the motor in my mustang so I know it's not that bad cause they were two totally different noises.

I'm pretty sure it's a lifter. A lot of people say don't worry about it and it's just apart of owning a jeep...

I'm a college student so I don't have a very big budget. The jeep is new to me so I think I'm just going to get an oil change tomorrow that way I know the oil is fresh and I'm just going to drive it.

Any thoughts?

Unread 02-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its always difficult to diagnose a ticking sound over the internet. It could be nothing, like the noisy lifter jeeps are known for. Could be piston slap, which jeep seem to be able to live through, or could be a bearing that's about to go.

does the tick stop after driving/warmed up, or while the engine rpm is higher than idle?

Has the jeep sat for a while unused before you bought it?

Did you use a fram oil filter?

what oil do you use?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ive had good luck using shell rotella T diesel oil. It has a robust detergent additive that has the ability to eventually quiet ticking lifters by disolving the sludge plugging the oil orifices in the lifters
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
tcdill111
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
Its always difficult to diagnose a ticking sound over the internet. It could be nothing, like the noisy lifter jeeps are known for. Could be piston slap, which jeep seem to be able to live through, or could be a bearing that's about to go. does the tick stop after driving/warmed up, or while the engine rpm is higher than idle? Has the jeep sat for a while unused before you bought it? Did you use a fram oil filter? what oil do you use?
I realized today it doesn't make any noise really when I first start it up then after I drive it, the noise comes back. It's just weird cause I don't hear it when I drive.... It could be the flow master exhaust covering up the noise but I only notice it when I stop.
Unread 02-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
tcdill111
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Its always difficult to diagnose a ticking sound over the internet. It could be nothing, like the noisy lifter jeeps are known for. Could be piston slap, which jeep seem to be able to live through, or could be a bearing that's about to go. does the tick stop after driving/warmed up, or while the engine rpm is higher than idle? Has the jeep sat for a while unused before you bought it? Did you use a fram oil filter? what oil do you use?
I use full synthetic 10w-30 platinum jiffy lube
Unread 02-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

but always comes back at idle no matter how long you've run the jeep?

For example, you drive for an hour and come to a stop and then you hear it?

An exhaust leak is a good possibility in addition to the possible lifter noise.
Unread 02-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
tcdill111
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can drive 5 minutes or 5 hours... Once I come to a stop it sounds the same.

I thought if it was an exhaust leak I would be able to hear it when I drove. My mustang use to have an exhaust leak and it would get worse as I accelerated.
Unread 02-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine sounds like a skeleton masturbating in a filing cabinet. I regularly rev the wee out of it getting on the freeway 3500 RPM in 3rd. It has 188K miles and its still doing just fine. I change the oil and filter every 3 mos regardless of miles. Running the Rotella T diesel oil and Bosch 3402 filter. The Rotella really cleans out an engine and keeps it clean.
Unread 02-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcdill111 View Post
I can drive 5 minutes or 5 hours... Once I come to a stop it sounds the same.

I thought if it was an exhaust leak I would be able to hear it when I drove. My mustang use to have an exhaust leak and it would get worse as I accelerated.
An exhaust manifold leak can sound like a lifter. It happens after it warms up too.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

exhaust leaks often tick at only a specific RPM. The RPM they originally broke at.
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
tcdill111
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
but always comes back at idle no matter how long you've run the jeep? For example, you drive for an hour and come to a stop and then you hear it? An exhaust leak is a good possibility in addition to the possible lifter noise.
The noise does go away when I get the RPMs up... I was just in the drive, left it in neutral and I heard the noise....I slowly got the RPMs up and the noise went away.
Unread 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
gellal

my friend has a 1993 yj with the 4.0 6 cylinder and his runs in a similar way making a kinda whiny and ticking noise but his never had an issue and always runs and drives fine
gellal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:17 AM   #13
pete1991YJ
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You could always get a 9/16 box wrench and check/tighten all the manifold bolts on the cylinder head. I do mine every year, the back ones are prone to loosening up. It only takes like 3 minutes.
Unread 02-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #14
donnynmandy

I have the 2.5 and I had a bad tick and was worse at high rpms ... new power steering pump and timing chain fixed it.
donnynmandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 02:21 AM   #15
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ timing chain
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.