Should I weld my bumper on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I weld my bumper on?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Jesse_87
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Should I weld my bumper on?

This past winter my factory bumper got tore off (hooked a chain to the D-ring, thought it would give before the bumper did, but it was stronger than the bumper) taking one of the threaded nuts inside the frame with it. I was going to weld the nut and frame corner back on, but I bought a bumper with D-rings and don't want this to ever happen again. After the minor frame repair would there be any major drawbacks to welding the bumper to the frame permanantly? I don't plan on changing it and I do have plans of building on to it. I've never heard of this and I'm trying to decide if this is a good idea or not. The way I see it the "stronger the better". And has anyone tested D-rings on Procomp's rock crawler bumper? They're not through welded, they're just welded to the front.

Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

From this:

To this:

Unread 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You'd risk mucking up your frame I'd think. And later down the road you're gonna wish you could take the bumper off for one reason or another.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i welded mine one but the way i did it would be easy to torch off if i need to get it off. ALSO my frame was modified alot for the plow that used to be on it so i i didnt mind much modification on an already modified frame.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
YJ Ynot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you boxed the back of it in and weld it to the front of the frame that would be ok..

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...
YJ Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_87 View Post
This past winter my factory bumper got tore off (hooked a chain to the D-ring, thought it would give before the bumper did, but it was stronger than the bumper) taking one of the threaded nuts inside the frame with it. I was going to weld the nut and frame corner back on, but I bought a bumper with D-rings and don't want this to ever happen again. After the minor frame repair would there be any major drawbacks to welding the bumper to the frame permanantly? I don't plan on changing it and I do have plans of building on to it. I've never heard of this and I'm trying to decide if this is a good idea or not. The way I see it the "stronger the better". And has anyone tested D-rings on Procomp's rock crawler bumper? They're not through welded, they're just welded to the front.

Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

From this:

To this:

if you can weld, I would just fix the frame with some sort of fab so that you can bolt it up. But I can't weld, so I may not know what I am talking about. Good lookin Jeep though Bro!
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I'd recommend against that CB antenna. Get a Firestik, they work amazingly, and won't swing around and hit ****.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was taking the old front bumper off mine a few months back, and those crappy rusted torx bolts stripped. i heated them up to try to get them out with other tools. i had to weld a nut onto the top of a couple of them. in the course of heating them up, i got a bit aggressive with the O/A torch, and i melted the upper captive nuts in the frame. I was going to weld new nuts in, but i just decided to weld the upper mounts to the frame. i don't think i will ever take it off, and if i do need to, i could just grind off the welds.
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

my rear bumper is welded on. well only the bottom but i see no problem with it since i will really never want it to come off and this way when i yank on it i know it will stay in place.
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
College94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I modded my stock bumper and put D-rings on it. They got their first test the other day and I was surprised to see they held up pretty good. You can take that plastic piece between the bumper and grill off and there's two other bolt holes under it in the top of the frame (at least on mine there is), you could extend the back of your bumper and bolt it in their too.
College94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.