Should I Replace My Shocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I Replace My Shocks?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
the-watosh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Should I Replace My Shocks?

Hi,

My 1994 Wrangler had 90,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 150,000 miles.

The shocks are baby blue color with the same color boots and they say "made in germany" which leads me to believe that they might be Bilsteins?

The shocks do not leak, but I have no idea how long they were on the Jeep before I bought it. I replaced the shocks in my 1994 F250 4x4 and it made a tremendous difference.

The question that I have is could these possibly be Bilsteins, and with the amount of miles on them, would I possibly benefit with a better ride by replacing them due to the miles of wear?

Thanks in advance.

The-Watosh

the-watosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

do the old bounce back test. also in a yj, the first and best way to get a better smoother ride is to toss the trackbars (not kidding)
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How would you describe the ride now? Bouncy? Like a boat?
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
the-watosh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
do the old bounce back test. also in a yj, the first and best way to get a better smoother ride is to toss the trackbars (not kidding)
It doesn't bounce as if there were no shocks at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tossing the trackbars". What are they and what are they for, and how do I remove them?

Thanks.
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
the-watosh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
How would you describe the ride now? Bouncy? Like a boat?
It seems as if the ride has gotten more rough, as if I'm feeling more of the bumps. It might be all in my head, but it feels like going over manhole covers and road chuckholes are rougher these days.....
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-watosh View Post
It seems as if the ride has gotten more rough, as if I'm feeling more of the bumps. It might be all in my head, but it feels like going over manhole covers and road chuckholes are rougher these days.....
The bounce test:

Push down hard on the front and rear. It should go down and back up, that's it. If it goes down, up, and keeps moving at all (as if it is floating) you need new shocks.

As for track bars, he literally means remove them. It will result in a much better ride with no ill effects, only positive.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-watosh
What condition are your spring eye bushings in?
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

there is one on front and back, they are not needed on leaf spring vehicles.
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^ I think that diagram gives the trackbar a little too much credit in terms of the range of motion it allows lol. The diagram would be better if it showed the damage to traval that happens when that passenger side attempts to articulate up!

Cool diagram though.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

eh it was just a quick google search image to show him roughly what the tracbar is and does(or fails to do)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.