Should I Rebuild My AX-15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I Rebuild My AX-15

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! *STOP UNWANTED LIGHT BAR NOISE* with Pandemic LED Light BaRuffstuff 10 year sale

Unread 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Should I Rebuild My AX-15

I one of those guys that if pulling the transmission to do the clutch slave swap I'm inclined to replace the clutch, flywheel and syncros in the transmission. The best I can tell all have 130k on them and when cold shifting into 2nd is a little bit stiff or notchy if those are the right terms. For those who might ask I run 10W30 dino oil.

Assuming everything looks OK are there any items in the AX-15 that I should go ahead and replace while I'm in there?

Unread 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't bother opening a trans that only has a minor issue in one gear when cold.
Unread 02-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would tend to agree with you, but since I'm dropping it to the replace the exhaust system and do the TJ down pipe conversion as well it would only be one more thing. In the past having rebuilt and done gear swaps more times than I can count in racing transmissions this looks like it would be interesting.

For me the biggest PITA is removing and replacing the transmission/shifter boot/transfer case/skip plate. Opening a transmission is more like fun.
Unread 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you were going to do it anyway and just wanted ratification. Good luck.
Unread 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
ShiJon
1982 CJ8 

There are some specialty tools on that job. Might want to look into that to make sure you want it bad enough.
ShiJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #6
ZR90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Talk to opihi. Ive heard he is an ax-15 guru or God.

His name is opihi59. So send him a pm.
ZR90YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll read Mean Max's? write up and see if I want to do it. I would kick myself if this minor issue turned into a major problem 6 months to a year after having everything out.
Unread 02-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Nailgun
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Never watched the video, but Moses Ludel has a 1 1/2 hour video for 3.99 that might also be worth a look.

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/ax15rebuild
Nailgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #9
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a front seal leak. I never opened a tranny before and did the bearings and syncros. If you have any GB experience it should be easy. The only specialty tools you need are a feeler gage, press, Jig(s) for the press and an external clip puller. Transmission warehouse on Ebay has the best deal on a parts kit. Ophi59 sent me the relative info from the shop manual. I also had a lap top with Moses Ludels guide. It was free. Unless there is a bearing clearance issue it's not hard at all. Even after all that my second gear still shifts hard when it's cold. YMMV.
Gausswave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #10
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausswave View Post
I had a front seal leak. I never opened a tranny before and did the bearings and syncros. If you have any GB experience it should be easy. The only specialty tools you need are a feeler gage, press, Jig(s) for the press and an external clip puller. Transmission warehouse on Ebay has the best deal on a parts kit. Ophi59 sent me the relative info from the shop manual. I also had a lap top with Moses Ludels guide. It was free. Unless there is a bearing clearance issue it's not hard at all. Even after all that my second gear still shifts hard when it's cold. YMMV.
I tried to search eBay for Transmission warehouse, and couldn't find anything.

Although its local to me, I'm sure they will ship to Ga. They always had everything I needed in stock for my AX-5 rebuild.

http://www.manualtransca.com/
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:43 AM   #11
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I tried to search eBay for Transmission warehouse, and couldn't find anything.

Although its local to me, I'm sure they will ship to Ga. They always had everything I needed in stock for my AX-5 rebuild.

http://www.manualtransca.com/
Hmmm not sure what they did but I found the same seller but they aren't using the same name. Odd.

Here's the kit I used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-AX15-AX...3D978909178790
It's come down in price. It was $290 when I did mine.

Any way I'd also do the tower seals and bushings. That kit includes it. So far all 3 AX-15's I've been into the tower's seals, seat bushing etc... all needed to be replaced.

My experience with rebuilding and a lot of good comments from guys like Ophi59.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...-wear-2500626/
Gausswave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:51 PM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^ Concur. This is the site from where I purchase my rebuild kits. Transparts Warehouse, "Acerl" on fleabay. I am not stumping for a particular product or vendor, I am just endorsing what I have used so many times successfully and without issues, so that is where I keep returning. Rebuilding the AX 15 is a personally satisfying and enjoyable endeavor. Should you run into issues with the shift shafts and interlock pins, I have an FAQ thread specifically on that. No, not an "expert," just a hobbyist with a significant interest in clutch systems, and manual transmissions.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:37 PM   #13
calisk8er1080
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just my $0.02, but if you're opening it up anyway, why not consider doing the granny gear swap out of a toyota tranny?
I ask this with no knowlege of if you take your jeep on the rocks or anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.