JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   should i go bestop? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/should-i-go-bestop-1054673/)

yjryne 06-20-2010 02:38 PM

should i go bestop?

I've been hearing a lot of things about bestop here lately, especially about outsourcing to other countries. I've also read about lots and lots of fitment problems with their soft tops across the board as far as yj's and tj's go.

However, i am going to college soon and have no a/c and a hardtop, so a soft top would be a GREAT thing to have, and 4wd has the best price i've seen on a bestop, so im greatly considering purchasing one, but i was wondering how all of y'all feel about them.

The deal is a black denim bestop supertop with tinted windows for a jeep yj which is normally $627.99 for $565.19 (10% off) and a $50 gift card. there is also free ups ground. but the deal ends today, so i need all the info. i can get!

Part# is BST54599-15 at Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories, & Jeep Tops

Thanks!:D

yjryne 06-20-2010 02:48 PM

bump, this is a pretty big "financial descision" on my part.
Help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

judgevalor 06-20-2010 02:53 PM

It sounds like a decent price to me if you dont already have the soft top hardware installed. If you need it then I would say get it. If you have the soft top hardware you can get it hundreds cheaper.

yjryne 06-20-2010 02:56 PM

I dont have any hardware, its all drilled and set up for a soft top, but when i bought the jeep it came with a hard top and full doors, so the supertop is essientally the only route i have.

ugmo 06-20-2010 06:18 PM

Hmmm, hopefully this does not turn into a bestop debate like some of the other threads have morphed.

Nonetheless - My last jeep was a hardtop, so I ran a safari top in the summer and the hardtop in the winter. A safari or bikini top is way less expensive than a full setup. During the summer, you'll be running without the zip in windows anyway. And switching between the two in Oct and May is not that big of a deal.

As far as bestop goes (and that particular debate), I will not pay extra in the future for one of their non-US products. I will most likely go with a less expensive competitor if my only option is non-US. However, I'll still take Canadian and Mexican products over Chinese products, until the Chinese bring up their quality control. By the time that happens, they'll probably have full control of the global market, but that is probably a different discussion.

GRYDE001 06-20-2010 06:20 PM

maybe try finding a good used one on CL from someone that went to a hardtop ???

Burnerman 06-20-2010 06:28 PM

The Supertop has a 2yr warrenty so if something is wrong they'll definately make good on it. Bestop fabric is very good and the windows are heavy. The rep says that Supertops are made in the US.

bs1946 06-20-2010 06:41 PM

Bestop is the OEM manufacturer Jeep uses for the Wranglers. However, they make a number of different tops at different price points which may effect the quality or durability. Since you don't have the mounting hardware (more money), you have a clean canvas and might want to look at some of the other kinds of tops that hav been discussed here and on other Jeep sites.

Renegade88 06-20-2010 06:46 PM

I was in the same boat you are about a year ago I have an all black jeep and no a/c i bought the supertop for full steel doors and tinted windows and love it it leaks a little, but some of my buds are running cheaper brands and they just don't seem to last as long, my supertop still looks brand new!! :thumbsup:

JFranko 06-20-2010 07:13 PM

I have one, and I know 3 other people that also have one (2 other YJs and a TJ) and a person with a half top on a YJ. None of us have any problems with the fit. I broke a zipper on mine, even though it was my fault, they honored the warrantee, and I had a new window within 3 days.

MWguy101 06-20-2010 10:32 PM

Here is another way to go.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Canvas Caps and Toppers - Softopper

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...op-yj-1022870/

Que89YJ 06-21-2010 05:32 AM

Did you pull the trigger and by it?

paulgraff 06-21-2010 05:34 AM

Nope buy American.

yjryne 06-21-2010 06:28 PM

I checked today with 4wd and the top is on backorder until late july, but today is the last day for the $50 gift card deal. I have a bikini top, and even with full doors, it doesn't really stand up to rain well. I also need the "look" of having an enclosed vehicle on campus to deter people.
they only thing stopping me is the fact that there is the 4wheel parts truck and jeep show this weekend here in atlanta and i might be able to get a better deal.
discisions discisions...
Thanks for the help everyone, keep it comming!

yjryne 06-21-2010 07:26 PM

Alright, i made the jump and ordered it from 4wheelparts and they price matched with the promo card too. its on backorder until july, but when i get it I will try to post some pictures of it installed!

The time now is 10:52 AM.