shot tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shot tranny?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
JeeperGeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

shot tranny?

so i noticed about 6 weeks ago i was driving in a city and after reversing and doing a 3 point turn my car wouldnt shift out of first (AUTO TRANS)so i had to pull over, turn off the jeep, then back on.

now i drove in a city again, same stop and go traffic, and it started happening again only this time it took a while and a few off and ons for it to fix itself

i noticed when shifting into R i can hear what sounds like a vacum noise

and when it wont shift out of first like i siad, the gas pedal isnt as sensitive

any help would be apreciated

got a new rebuilt np231 and the stock YJ 3 speed auto

JeeperGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperGeoff View Post
so i noticed about 6 weeks ago i was driving in a city and after reversing and doing a 3 point turn my car wouldnt shift out of first (AUTO TRANS)so i had to pull over, turn off the jeep, then back on.

now i drove in a city again, same stop and go traffic, and it started happening again only this time it took a while and a few off and ons for it to fix itself

i noticed when shifting into R i can hear what sounds like a vacum noise

and when it wont shift out of first like i siad, the gas pedal isnt as sensitive

any help would be apreciated

got a new rebuilt np231 and the stock YJ 3 speed auto
1- Check the tranny fluid. If it was OK what color was it and how did it smell?

My first guess is that this automatic tranny is all original and nomone has checked the fluid in it this century.

The best case scenario is that the fluid and filter need changing. I DID NOT SAY a tranny 'flush' They are useless and dangerous. I am talking a drain and clean (D&C) along with a new filteer. But don't get your hopes up just yet. Even after a D&C a worn tranny is just a worn tranny.....with a new filter and fluid.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check the linkage especially the throttle valve linkage.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
JeeperGeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

whats the average i should be paying for a rebuild if i have to go down that route

red in color, smells like tranny fluid mabye a tad burnt?
JeeperGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperGeoff View Post
whats the average i should be paying for a rebuild if i have to go down that route

red in color, smells like tranny fluid mabye a tad burnt?
If that tranny fluid has been in that tranny for a while and it is clear and red in color things might not be as bad as I initially thought. when you look at the tranny cfluid as it rolls down the dip stick do you see any 'trails' of black? If not maybe the trannys bands need adjusting. Take it to a reputable tranny service and have them look at it.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.