short vs long crank snout - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > short vs long crank snout

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 03-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

short vs long crank snout

87 Wrangler 4.2L uses v-belts

So with my re-man engine I got a short crank snout. I had a long crank snout on the original. I know the woodruff key is different and when I look at the harmonic ballancer I see that the balancer wont have the crank stick all the way thru. The crank on the engine has about an inch for the harmonic balancer. The HB has an inch and 3/4 depth to it. Am I ok with it the way it is.. Are there other balancers out there.

wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have only ever seen one part number for the balancers, most suppliers list one for years 72-90, but you are right there are different keys; and there are different bolts, one is shorter than the other. Just make sure the bolt you use does not bottom out in the crank before it pulls the balancer all the way on . It's possible you may need a slightly different thickness of the washer for the bolt.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have the specs on the longer bolt?

edit, NM i spent some time measuring.. The HB with the fat washer is 2" thick based on a fully seated HB that means I need an additional 3/8 to 5/8" longer bolt. The current bolt would actually work but I would only have about 1/4 inch seated into the crank of a max of 3/4...

Last edited by wanabejeeper; 04-01-2010 at 12:25 PM..
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the two length specs in the parts list are 1.25" and 1.62"; but this doesn't matter too much, all you need to do if get enough engagement without bottoming out.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.