Shocks for a smoother ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks for a smoother ride

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-30-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
aboynamedmoose

Shocks for a smoother ride

I have a 91 jeep wrangler that rides like a brick. I know jeep suspensions are not the greatest with the older leaf springs but mine is really horrible. Anyone have any suggestions for quality shocks that feel the best on highway and city roads? My friend used to have a 92 jeep Wrangler just like mine and I swear his suspension was so much softer and smoother. He did buy his with a hardtop which requires the extra leaf in the rear as far as I know, maybe this is why his suspension was smoother but I would think that would make it stiffer and make the ride more bumpy. I want the best, smoothest ride for my stock, unlifted jeep.

Thanks

aboynamedmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 09:28 AM   #2
RideRed04

Yeah, mine does that as well. The hard top doesnt require the extra rear spring, but the previous owner of mine did that, hence the hot rod stance. Because I am poor, I am going to do the add-a-leaf in the front to level it, and just live with the ride. I believe that super lift is now making a kit that supposidly rides nice...we will see.
Unread 09-30-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
Tnuts

Loose nuts

I would check to be sure your shackle bolts aren't overtorqued and prohibitting your suspension from moving freely and fully. Then check to make sure your springs aren't shot(ie-overly reverse arched- factory wrangler springs are pretty much FLAT if I recall correctly) and then check your shock shape(ie- no bounce after compression, it should return quickly w/o looking like a low rider in the midst of a hot and heavy urban beaver trapping! )

Hope that Helps
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:35 PM   #4
RideRed04

Wait, hold on, your shocks move?!?!?! WTF? lol. I can jump (180lbs) down hard on my reciever hitch and The hitch gets about an inch closer to the ground, shocks bearly move. The front isnt as bad. Just wait till I add a leaf to the front...lol.
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #5
Plink

Mine hardly move as well. It is the nature of the Jeep....enjoy the ride or get a Lincoln Town Car!
[B]Need new front and rear bumpers[/B]
[B]HAM: KB3JQS[/B]
Plink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 03:23 PM   #6
Lab Rat

I bought my YJ loaded, cheap and with 55,000 clics on it. The ride would jar your fillings loose and God help you if ya gotta pee.

When I took off the rear shocks, they were so cooked that when you turned them over, they would compress under their own weight!!

I put on a pair of Gabriel Gas Riders. That worked out so well, I put two more on the front and now the thing rides as smooth as my wife's Cherokee Limited.
Lab Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 03:59 PM   #7
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally posted by Lab Rat
I bought my YJ loaded, cheap and with 55,000 clics on it. The ride would jar your fillings loose and God help you if ya gotta pee.

When I took off the rear shocks, they were so cooked that when you turned them over, they would compress under their own weight!!

I put on a pair of Gabriel Gas Riders. That worked out so well, I put two more on the front and now the thing rides as smooth as my wife's Cherokee Limited.
How much did they cost, and where do you get them?!?!?!
Unread 09-30-2002, 04:13 PM   #8
bluYJ

I think the 2 best shocks out there (for good ride). The 1st is Rancho 9000 series. These are adjustable and run about about $85 each. There are 5 different settings, so you can adjust them for your liking. The 2nd brand is Old Man Emu. These shocks are great & don't require any adjustments. They usually sell for about $70 each. There are cheaper shocks out there, but you get what you pay for.
33" BFG Muds, 4:88 gears, Detroit's front and rear, Dana 44 rear axle with disc brakes, heavy duty Dodge NP231,SYE, MORE sport cage. [COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #61[/COLOR]
bluYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
St.LJustin

Quote:
Originally posted by bluYJ
There are cheaper shocks out there, but you get what you pay for.
I've ridden in a YJ with Old Man Emu shocks and it was qute impressive. I think I'll just enjoy the ones that came with my lift and spend my money on other things.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #10
Lab Rat

To RideRed04

Got em at the local parts store. I bought my Jeep to commute, for New Jersey snow storms and to take it apart and put it together again like a toaster, (and about as simple). Therefore, I don't need million dollar shocks. Paid about 130.00 for all four and Gabriel is one of the oldest names in the business. Nitrogen-charged and good quality.

Cheers
Unread 10-13-2002, 07:03 AM   #11
JeepMax

Gabriel Shocks...

Lab Rat,

I've been looking around for "soft riding" shocks for a while now, and Ive gotten different suggestions from many Jeepers. Most of them where "the more you spend - the better your ride".

Well, I don't wanna believe this - I don't wanna spend 80+ bucks for a single shock - I think that's a ripoff.

I went to www.gabriel.com - exaclty what shocks did you get?

Thanks,

JeepMax
Unread 10-13-2002, 11:42 AM   #12
Lab Rat

Shocks

Gabriel Gas Ryders. They are not soft ride. They feel firm but not harsh. That is the beauty of niotrogen. Better shock and rebound than oil. They were a world of difference from the crap stock units.

Cheers
Unread 10-13-2002, 11:46 AM   #13
Lab Rat

One more thing

Keep in mind that my S model is bone stock and stock size tires. If your running bigger tires, you can't use these, they will be too short and "clunk" when extended and they will be ruined in short order. Bigger tires mean everything bigger.

Cheers again

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.