Shocks question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks question

50" SINGLE ROW PANDEMIC LED Light bar FEATURES 4D Opt**new!!** pandemic-usa led pod lights!! Siiiiick!!!07-15 JEEP JK Inner axle tube Sleeves

Reply
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Famekilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: auststin Texas
Posts: 69
Shocks question

Ok I have been looking to replace my shocks .I have been doing a bunch of reading and I think OME are the best .The problum is the dont make a OME shock for a 4" lift .That is as far as I could tell. Next option would be the bilstein 5100 or 5150 I have read great stuff on these
. My qeustion is has anyone tried or used the Rubicon Express Rubicon Twin-Tube Shock Absorber Kit SK010505RXT? ( Here is a link to them )

http://synergyoffroad.com/i-16070883...010505rxt.html


How is the ride ? I like it to ride as smooth as posiable.

The jeep is 1992 4" RE lift. 33x12.5x15 I6 motor. With a Swingaway Tire and front bumper with a winch .I have already oreder new body bushings and Iam goona replace the shackles with 1" lift to them.

Any help would be great on the RE shocks

Famekilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Partsmke
Senior Member
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famekilla View Post
Ok I have been looking to replace my shocks .I have been doing a bunch of reading and I think OME are the best .The problum is the dont make a OME shock for a 4" lift .That is as far as I could tell. Next option would be the bilstein 5100 or 5150 I have read great stuff on these
. My qeustion is has anyone tried or used the Rubicon Express Rubicon Twin-Tube Shock Absorber Kit SK010505RXT? ( Here is a link to them )

http://synergyoffroad.com/i-16070883...010505rxt.html


How is the ride ? I like it to ride as smooth as posiable.

The jeep is 1992 4" RE lift. 33x12.5x15 I6 motor. With a Swingaway Tire and front bumper with a winch .I have already oreder new body bushings and Iam goona replace the shackles with 1" lift to them.

Any help would be great on the RE shocks
Leave the shackles alone, 1" longer will raise your Jeep 1/2" and place a much greater load on your frame hangers and spring bushings. Shocks will help your ride but don't ever think that a leaf sprung Jeep will ever ride wonderful, there's just too much friction between leaves.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
cojab
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 1,155
I think that RE is owned by Bilstien now. Not positive on that.
I have Bilstiens on the front on mine and Re's on the rear because Bilstien didn't have the rears to fit my application. I was told by a vendor here that the RE's were made right next to and were basically the same as the 5100's
I took the chance and mine rides very well now with BDS springs and the shocks mentioned.

I agree with Partsmike. Your in a YJ and the ride will never be a Cadillac. However if your used to an older CJ or something with Rough Country springs or their shocks, you can and should notice a significant difference with your springs and a good pair of shocks.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Famekilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: auststin Texas
Posts: 69
thanks guys. Yea I know its the nature of the beast . But would like the best I can get .. I had a RC 4" lift befor i changed it to RE .. Yea that RC was crazy ruff
Famekilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
fratis
......
 
fratis's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hale'iwa, Hawai'i
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
Leave the shackles alone, 1" longer will raise your Jeep 1/2" and place a much greater load on your frame hangers and spring bushings. Shocks will help your ride but don't ever think that a leaf sprung Jeep will ever ride wonderful, there's just too much friction between leaves.
Longer shackles will not put a greater load on anything within a quantifiable amount.

Those that think leaf sprung jeeps can't ride nicely don't know how to build one properly.

A good set of shocks will definitely help. So far I've liked the 5150 with the lightest valving for leaf sprung yjs. If you really are seeking ways to smooth out the ride. Rebuild the suspension and figure out why things aren't moving properly and fix. Even the friction between leaves can be dealt with. Be creative.
__________________
-insert meaningless out-of-place political diatribe-
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert, Nv
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post

Those that think leaf sprung jeeps can't ride nicely don't know how to build one properly.
.


It's all in the spring rate and the shock valving and the bushings.
A leaf sprung vehicle can ride like a 75' Buick Electra if you want.

It's time to retire "hey it's a Jeep. It's gotta ride bad"
It just isn't true.
__________________
What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
cojab
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Yup. Drives me nuts.
"The Jeep isn't a Cadillac"
Have you ridden in a new Caddy? Let's just say the days of the Sedan DeVille are over.
They ride pretty stiff now.

My OME equipped Jeep rides nice.

It's all in the spring rate and the shock valving and the bushings.
A leaf sprung vehicle can ride like a 75' Buick Electra if you want.

It's time to retire "hey it's a Jeep. It's gotta ride bad"
It just isn't true.

There's more to it than just spring rate and shock valving IMO. We're also dealing with a very short wheel based vehicle.
Agreed, you can get a Jeep to ride nice and soft. No one here said "It's gotta ride bad" But it's definitly going to ride/drive a bit different than what most people are used to.
My BDS equipped Jeep rides nice also as mentioned.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
 
Chrisnvegas's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Desert, Nv
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
There's more to it than just spring rate and shock valving IMO. We're also dealing with a very short wheel based vehicle.
Agreed, you can get a Jeep to ride nice and soft. No one here said "It's gotta ride bad" But it's definitly going to ride/drive a bit different than what most people are used to.
My BDS equipped Jeep rides nice also as mentioned.
Yeah,
I was told my Jeep was softer than a stock TJ. This was someone who just got out of one and into mine so I could take them to the top of a dune.

And have you rode in a new caddy? They're kinda stiff now!
__________________
What happens in my Jeep, stays in my Jeep
Chrisnvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
cojab
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Yeah,
I was told my Jeep was softer than a stock TJ. This was someone who just got out of one and into mine so I could take them to the top of a dune.

And have you rode in a new caddy? They're kinda stiff now!
Sure havent.....but I get your point. They have been designed with different priorities these days.
I remember driving a BMW and expecting a nice comfy ride. I was surprised by how stiff it was. But that thing sure handled well.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #10
fishadventure
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville, VT
Posts: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab
Sure havent.....but I get your point. They have been designed with different priorities these days. I remember driving a BMW and expecting a nice comfy ride. I was surprised by how stiff it was. But that thing sure handled well.
LOL that's got me chuckling - it's all in what you expect that determines comfort. I thought MY BMW was very comfy, and it felt great on my back, but it wasn't a plush sofa on wheels. Then again I don't even like overstuffed furniture anyway
__________________
How many old threads actually convince *you* to read all 36 pages? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/length-envy-build-thread-629700/
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
Famekilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: auststin Texas
Posts: 69
So I take that as you dont know about the RE shocks ? lmwao
Famekilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
cojab
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famekilla
So I take that as you dont know about the RE shocks ? lmwao
Sorry for the derail Mr. Killa!!!
Look up a vendor on here named Kolak. He can help you out with your shock questions.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.