Shocks?. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shocks?.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Camd94224
1989 CJ7 

Shocks?.

I am piecing together a lift for my jeep so far i have these
Procomp 2.5 inch leafs
A pitman arm off a Cherokee
Longer brake lines

I am thinking about getting a set of bilsteins 5100 shocks and the thing is it says they are for a 3-5 inch lift... Can i still use them with the 2.5 inch lift? And i will have bassically 3.5 inch lift because of the boomerang shackles?

Do i need a transfer case drop with only a 3.5 lift?

Can i stuff 33x12.50 baja claws with a 3.5 lift?

Unread 04-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will answer the same to each question.

Probably but all YJ's are different.
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running 33x12.5 BFG ATs on an old 3" skyjacker lift with plenty of room. I also have a 1" transfer case drop but really need a sye n new driveshaft.
image-2604018255.jpg   image-984733093.jpg  
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I recommend PMing kolak on this board. He'll help with measuring then quote you a price that will make you wonder why you've waited so long.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Camd94224
1989 CJ7 

Ya i dont rock crawl or anything so i dont need to be able to stuff the tires into the fenders... I jus want to be able to fit my 33s and be able to keep the stock driveshaft because this is my beater..
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camd94224 View Post
Ya i dont rock crawl or anything so i dont need to be able to stuff the tires into the fenders... I jus want to be able to fit my 33s and be able to keep the stock driveshaft because this is my beater..
Not a Lotta rocks out on the island huh?

I doubt you'll even need the transfer case drop, the drop is to reduce driveline vibrations and usually those don't happen until highway speeds and if your Jeep doesn't leave the Island that's probably no big deal. Bilstein 5100s are nice but they're kinda pricey; you can get 4 shocks for the price of 1 if you go with one of the "White Shocks" I run BDS on my 2 5/8" lifted YJ and they're good enough.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Camd94224
1989 CJ7 

Well even if their was rocks on the island... Its not my thing. And no my jeep will NEVER leave nantucket with me driving it. And i was thinking just getting a rc lift it is cheap and idc for a ride i would love to put together a good lift for it but i just rode in a jeep with a rc lift and it doesnt ride any better than my does stock.. I am still having carb problems... No ported vacuum?? Anybody have this problem?
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
AF-YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check this post out. I am running these with a bastard pack (2.5 inches) and 3/4 inch booms. Working out great so far.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-lift-1354276/
AF-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do a search on measuring for shocks. Do your shock purchase the right way. Then you will have no regrets.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post

Not a Lotta rocks out on the island huh?

I doubt you'll even need the transfer case drop, the drop is to reduce driveline vibrations and usually those don't happen until highway speeds and if your Jeep doesn't leave the Island that's probably no big deal. Bilstein 5100s are nice but they're kinda pricey; you can get 4 shocks for the price of 1 if you go with one of the "White Shocks" I run BDS on my 2 5/8" lifted YJ and they're good enough.
I have to disagree. This is not true from my experience. My white shocks from my lift were sub par and then Kolak quoted me an absurdly low Bilstein price. I've owned both and I only regret one of them.
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post

I have to disagree. This is not true from my experience. My white shocks from my lift were sub par and then Kolak quoted me an absurdly low Bilstein price. I've owned both and I only regret one of them.
+1 for Kolak. Got my bilsteins from him at an awesome price. They ride amazing. No regrets. My springs are pretty much broken in now and I can honestly say my yj rides better on my current set up than my tj did stock. Its all like butter now....well for a short wheel base, solid asked jeep

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can fix the short wheel base part. It helps out too.
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can fix the short wheel base part. It helps out too.
$$$$$
I am going to give her a 1" stretch in the rear when I get the 8.8 in. That's about it for now though.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well Rusty's and Superlift shocks I've seen for as little as $33/ea. I'm not saying they're as good as Bilsteins, I've had the Yellows (HD?) and the 5100s and they're sweet shocks, but honestly if the OP is going to pair the shocks with Rough Country it's a waste of money. I had top of the line Rancho 9000xl shocks on my CJ5 and with crappy springs they didn't help anything (Couldn't tell the difference between those on 1 and Black Diamond shocks).

Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with Nantucket but it's a TINY island (Like 10miles across and 1 mile wide) and if I lived there and had a Jeep that never left the island I'd just go with the cheapest stuff I Could get my hands on.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post

Well Rusty's and Superlift shocks I've seen for as little as $33/ea. I'm not saying they're as good as Bilsteins, I've had the Yellows (HD?) and the 5100s and they're sweet shocks, but honestly if the OP is going to pair the shocks with Rough Country it's a waste of money. I had top of the line Rancho 9000xl shocks on my CJ5 and with crappy springs they didn't help anything (Couldn't tell the difference between those on 1 and Black Diamond shocks).

Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with Nantucket but it's a TINY island (Like 10miles across and 1 mile wide) and if I lived there and had a Jeep that never left the island I'd just go with the cheapest stuff I Could get my hands on.
Yeah you're splitting hairs. His Bilstein quote might not be that different than your cheap shock price.(mine wasn't).

You're deadset on telling this guy to buy cheap shocks. I'm just saying he should get the free quote on cheap, good shocks.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.