Shock Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock Question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-10-2002, 08:41 AM   #1
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Shock Question

Does anyone know why the flip their shocks, or rotate them. like in this picture??

shawn

Unread 10-10-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
monkeywrench

shocks

in the rear my shocs hit the axle when the suspention flexes turnes them upside down the chrome rod clears the sxle fine

in the front at full stuff in the fender my brake caliper bolts hit and dent my shocks
any one els have this problem rs 9000 4 1/2 RE LIFT LOVE IT NO BUMP STOPE EITHER
jamie 92 yj 4 1/2 RE extream duty 2 body 35-12.50-15 4.56 arb frt rr yorkair warn 9000 zenon flares tomken tire rack 4.0 borla header magnaflow exhaust flexes awsome CURRIE 9INCH HIGH PINION IN THE REAR WITH DISC BRAKES ITS SHAVED TO just added TERA LOW 4 TO 1 TRANSFER CASE KIT
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
93jeepyj2.5

MonkeyWrench,

Got any pics of your Jeep?

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 03:27 AM   #4
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

no offense, and not to be rude, but that has nothing to do with my post, please stick to the post of why do they flip them like that??

shawn
Unread 10-11-2002, 07:05 AM   #5
St.LJustin

Yeah, most shocks are to wide to mount upright on the rear axle due to what monkeywrench said. One thing to look for is that the shocks can be mounted upside down according the manufacturer. My Doetch (sp) shocks that can with the RE lift were made to be mounted either way and they don't hit anywhere.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 08:00 AM   #6
K&L

As for mounting them upside down, when I was working on late model race cars, there was rumor that mounting them upside down would change the compression/rebound rate. Several racers started it and a lot of others followed. My though was it might change it slightly as the main valves would no longer be in oil but in the gas as the oil moved down to the bottom half (actually the top)of the shock. BUT I have not read any manufacturer info stating that this was true.
K&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:19 AM   #7
St.LJustin

Quote:
Originally posted by K&L
My though was it might change it slightly as the main valves would no longer be in oil but in the gas as the oil moved down to the bottom half (actually the top)of the shock. BUT I have not read any manufacturer info stating that this was true.
Like I said, a lot of the newer shocks have the ability to be mounted either way becaus they have been made to be correctly oiled either right-side up or upside down.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #8
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

did you all look at the pic, i mean mine are mounted up right (normal) and work fine.. i didnt know if it was better to do it there way??

I need new shocks b/c the ones i have right now hinder my flex, i dont know where to buy long travel??

shawn
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at the picture that you show in your link above, I wouldn't be able to comment on the reason why he did it personally.

Hey might have made himself a set of shock-hoops, or needed to lower his shock-mounts, or .. any one of a dozen reasons.

Generally, I would go with what K&L suggested .. it was done by race cars owners for a different shock feel ..

And Shawn .. take your shocks off, flex your beast till it can't go anymore, then measure your compressed side and your extended side. Use those measurements to contact Rancho (or any shock manufacturer you desire) through their webpage and just order it. There is always the ability to check with your local 4x4 shop as well, as they normally carry a wide range of shock sizes for just about every lift kit on the market.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:28 AM   #10
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

ya, i just saw the shox upside down... looked cool, i will have to try the flex idea!!!

thank you,

shawn

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.