Shock mounting question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock mounting question

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 02-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Shock mounting question

One thing that has always bugged me on this yj, why are the shock mounts on axle parallel to axle instead of perpendicular? seems to me the shock should be able to rotate on the bushing instead of flex against it when articulating.

Example
yj, I have seen high flex put alot of stress on these mounts, like trying to bend a finger sideways

This is how I think they should be, maybe im wrong?(realize this isnt a YJ, just the idea)

I need to redo my rear shock mounts, placed them up a little too high. debating whether or not to get different style mount like the second pic above.
Really just looking for some input on the matter from anyone else who has noticed this or swapped their mounts to this style.

The_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you are referring to axle wrap or "side load" condition. I don't think it would hurt to mount them that way but as for a side load on the shock- it should be something very marginal that could be compensated in the bushing. Anything further than that would be doing spring damage and possibly frame. Leaf springs don't like to go sideways. SOA conversions with stock YJ packs probably see this most often see this hence the need for the 3link or 4link to prevent axle wrap.
Unread 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe I mean the side load you speak of. Excuse this crude drawing but the red circle is the area I mean. I have looked at it under big flex and it looks like something is begging to break. Whether it is or not, seems like mounting the other way would eliminate the stress on the joint.

Never really seen any discussion on here about it, hence the thread.
shock.png

Unread 02-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The stock lower mounts are a very common thing to break off, and that's probably why.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The stock lower mounts are a very common thing to break off, and that's probably why.
Only my 2˘, but I think they break because they are cute little crappy brackets that hang too low and get whacked on stuff, or rot off. I also think there is enough flex in the 'bolt through rubber bushing' aspect to not break off after proper sized shock tabs are welded on. Next someone will invent 'revolver shackle mounts' for us to waste money on.

Goob, pop a top shock bolt off, swing the shock down, then try to force it in the direction you think it can't go. I'm confident you will find it can be pushed off-angle plenty to not be a problem with axle flex while in service.
Unread 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
cojab
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Next someone will invent 'revolver shackle mounts' for us to waste money on.
I think it was Tera Flex that already did! I also think they no longer offer them though.
I see what the idea is with them but I believe the rubber grommets allow enough movement to not limit any travel or cause problems.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I already wasted my money on the revolver mounts. However I haven't had one break off since.

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Some higher-end bilstein's and fox shocks have heim joints at each end. Stock bushings allow for a fair amount of movement but if you decide to run revolvers or orbit-eyes I could see the point of heims in the shocks. Remember the during compression the axle travels toward the shackle a little as well.
Unread 02-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im not "overly" worried that its going to break, it just looks like a stress point and since I might be re-doing my shock mounts I was considering changing the way they sit. Seen plenty done that way, even (some) XJ are that way if I recall.
Unread 02-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
I think it was Tera Flex that already did! I also think they no longer offer them though.
I see what the idea is with them but I believe the rubber grommets allow enough movement to not limit any travel or cause problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I already wasted my money on the revolver mounts. However I haven't had one break off since.
Sorry, I mistyped. I meant 'revolver shock mounts'!
Unread 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Sorry, I mistyped. I meant 'revolver shock mounts'!
No, I read it right.

And the problem before

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM   #12
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've mentioned this for years. The eyes on the axle end should be mounted perpendicular to the housing.

http://www.polyperformance.com/Syner...us-Shock-Mount
Unread 02-12-2015, 03:48 AM   #13
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
I've mentioned this for years. The eyes on the axle end should be mounted perpendicular to the housing.

http://www.polyperformance.com/Syner...us-Shock-Mount
Yup

Ruff Stuff has a similar mount too and you get 10% off for being a forum member.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
IA93Javert

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since I now officially need to know what did you do for your uppers mounts? Looks like Anticanman ran a piece of channel steel across the top. Any other options would be appreciated. I have some welding in front of me and not sure I like the option of putting an oem post back on.
IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #15
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ive made a couple sets of hoops but those are now considered a bit old school.

http://www.polyperformance.com/Syner...er-Bracket-Kit
Got a set of these in their longest offering for the front of a YJ. They can be a bit easier to fit then hoops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.