Shock Length - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shock Length

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
PARTSPHIL

Shock Length

I am in the process of installing an 8.8 in my 92 yj and am looking at shock length. I have installed the MORE upper extensions for a 2" gain in shock length. I can use my current shocks (for a 3.5" lift) that are 18" in length when at rest, which would put my lower shock mounts about 2" below my rear axle. I can also raise the mounts level with the rear end and out of harms way if I use 16" shocks (when at rest). Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions here. Also would be interested to know what the factory shock length is when at rest with no lift etc.

PARTSPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you look at these links - you can figure it out, or get close enough.

http://www.gorancho.com/flash/docs/2...ifications.pdf

http://www.gorancho.com/flash/docs/2005_shocks.pdf
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

linky no worky... for me anyway

I ran into the same issues. Do some flex test measurements before U place your lower mount... making sure U have enough up travel in the shock for full stuff. I almost put mine too high on the tube for my shock, so measure twice and weld once.

WoRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
OhioYJ

Quote:
Also would be interested to know what the factory shock length is when at rest with no lift etc.
Factory rear YJ shocks are 19.5" extended, 12.25 compressed, according to my catalog. That puts the neutral position at 15.875.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
linky no worky... for me anyway
Do you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
Do you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC?
LOL, heck if I know, Joe... that's why I hate computors!!!

sorry for the OT, partphil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.