Shifting Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shifting Problem

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 06-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
shea324@aol.com

Shifting Problem

I have a mostly stock 90 YJ with an AX-5 transmission. Ever since I've had it the transmission has made this slight grinding sound when in certain conditions. Normally it shifts fine, which is why I didn't address this earlier. But when downshifting at high speeds (relative to that gear) or when I try to upshift fast at high RPM's, I get a little grinding sound and sometimes I have to force it to go into that gear. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I would apreciate some help here. Thanks.

Unread 06-25-2001, 10:29 PM   #2
jpwranglr9

it probably is the syncro gears (and maybe sleaves) in the trany. i had this problem in mine and left it for a while too. then one day the third gear syncro gear got jamed. you can rebuild this yourself or have someone do it. it's not a cheap job though. i did it myself and cost me 200 or so just for parts. but i am pritty sure thats the problem. good luck
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.