Shifter loose - won't go into gear (not 4WD transfer case) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shifter loose - won't go into gear (not 4WD transfer case)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
BusyBee123
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Shifter loose - won't go into gear (not 4WD transfer case)

Hi there,

Got my first jeep about a month ago, a '93 YJ 4-cyl, 5-speed manual. Went to drive away, got up to 2nd gear, and the regular manual shifter (not the 4WD transfer case) went loose in my hand.

I can still drive it, but only in 2nd gear, where it was when it broke. The manual 5-speed shifter won't go into any gear, just wobbles around freely without engaging. Clutch is fine.

I'm hoping it's some sort of shifter linkage bushing that broke, due to the suddenness of the problem, but don't know where to begin looking. Just had my rear brakes and emergency brake replaced about a week prior to this happening - don't know if that could be a cause.

Any assistance pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated, as I greatly want to avoid a $3,000 new transmission. I'm capable of doing a repair, but don't know my way around Jeeps at all yet. Pics would be a plus! Thanks for your time.

BusyBee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would pull the shifter boot and plate on the floor and start looking for the loose or broken connection. Doesn't sound like anything major.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.