Shift tower problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shift tower problem

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
YJfrom94

Shift tower problem

Just as I thought my first clutch replacemnt was finally going well, I just ran into a big problem. I got the transmission back in place and got everything hooked when I went to get the shift lever back in. Problem is, I can not get the retainer down into the shift tower, there is no way it will fit. So I took the shift boot thing off and look in from the top and I see the problem. There is a flat spot on the hole where the shifter goes. It looks as though the trans rolled onto its side. It's been in the garage for a few weeks, so I guess it's possible. Whatever the case, I can't hook up my shifter. Now, I was thinking about trying to to hammer the flat spot a little and get the retainer to fit. Will this work? or will it cause me more headaches? If there is no other way, does anybody know where I can get a shift tower and how difficult that would be to replace?

YJfrom94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The shift tower is easy to replace. 4 bolts and a $1.50 gasket. I would be careful hammering it out as I believe its aluminum. If you can find a mold to put in and hit that, you might be good. There are also those two nipples that the retainer hooks to that you have to make sure you dont destroy while hammering. If you go to a pick and pull, you should be able to find one. I'm headin to one this weekend that has a lot of manual 4.0 cherokees. If anyone knows if they are the same I can try to grab you one.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
YJfrom94

Thanks for the help. I lightly tapped it once with a small hammer and it bent outward enough that the retainer fit no problem. It isn't lined up perfect but it's pretty good, plus the dust boot covers it up fine. If any problems occur I will replace it right away, but for now I'll just leave it like it is. Thanks for the offer though.
YJfrom94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.