Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Shift tower gasket?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DesertLight 
#1 ·
Hey guys I decided to check on my transmission and possibly do a fluid change. However I noticed a gasket or something that once resembled rubber in the shift tower. It was all cracked and broken apart and only accounted for about 1/3 around the hole. However some of the gasket/rubber fell into the trans. Should I worry about this? Also do I need to or should I get another rubber gasket for the tower?

The red outline is where the remaining "rubber" was.

BTW its an AX-15 in my 92 YJ.

See less See more
#2 ·
Also where can I get one of these bushings? I called up my local part stories and they either A) had no idea what I was talking about or B) said they would have to order it and it would be days.

In the mean time is it okay to drive? To my knowledge not much of the bushing fell into the trans.

#7 ·
I ran without one for a number of years and I finally fixed it properly with a new bushing. It made shifting a little easier especially since there was no metal on metal action. So while you don't have to have it for operation I recommend just spending a few bucks to do it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.