Shift tower bolt size - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shift tower bolt size

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements

Unread 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Shift tower bolt size

Seem to have misplaced the shift tower bolts for my ax15. Anyone know off hand what size those bolts are??
The 4 bolts that hold the shift tower to the trans.

Unread 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't go ad any but I found this online in case anyone else has the same problem

They are just regular 8MM X 1.25 thread pitch bolts. The 2 on the passenger are standard bolts, about 30MM long. The 2 on the driver's side have a "stud" built into the head about 20MM tall. You could use a 50MM bolt with the head cut off and 2 nuts (1 to fasten the shift tower & 1 to attach the T-case shifter bracket) for each of the driver's side bolts.
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can't confirm the 8 X 1.25 until I get home and check the transmissions I have laying in the garage. Yes, 2 of them have a threaded stud above the head, but on mine, I have not had anything that connects on top of those threaded studs like a wire loom, etc. Truthfully I have not had to pull anything off of there on the numerous AX 15s I have yanked so I don't really know their purpose. I wouldn't mind someone telling me what the intended purpose is. Unless your setup was different, you can just go with standard hex heads and call it good.

I have seen these type fasteners referred to as Hex head stud bolts.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

On an AX5 at least, the studded bolts are there to attach the transfer case shifter.
On the AX15 I used them the same way to make the AX5 transfer case shifter work on the AX15.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
On an AX5 at least, the studded bolts are there to attach the transfer case shifter.
On the AX15 I used them the same way to make the AX5 transfer case shifter work on the AX15.
Interesting.........I haven't pulled off an AX 5 yet. Thanks for posting in.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.