Shift Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shift Light

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-23-2002, 08:08 AM   #1
bamajeep

Shift Light

Does the shift light on the dash in front of the steering column on a 94 YJ come on according to timing or rpm's ? I never use it anyway i was just wondering if this is a way to tell if the timing is off. Also I have oil blowing out either in front of the oil pan or the pulley on bottom of the motor. Could this maybe be a oil pan gasket or front main seal ?

bamajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 08:41 AM   #2
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im not certain how it works, but i don't think it is by rpm... granted mine always comes on around 2-2200 rpm, but if you mat it to the floor it goes off, i think somehow the cpu compares rpms to speed -- if you hold a constant speed and the engine winds a little it tells you to shift, your timing if you have the 2.5 is computer controlled and you can't really adjust it from what i have found. I don't know how it works with the 6 cyl. I doubt this helps any but i never know
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 10:32 AM   #3
bamajeep

Thanx, Jeepfreak81. If i shifted like the light says to, I would be luggin' up all hills. I probably could get someone to hook it up to a computer to check the timing.
bamajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the light is to shift when you get the best mileage, mine lugs a little if i shift when it says to as well, they all do a little. hth
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 02:23 PM   #5
UniSonic23

the light comes on from vacuum pressure
Soft and Hard Top
UniSonic23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2002, 02:27 PM   #6
UniSonic23

jake yours lugs all the time
AKA 4 angry squirrels (4 banger)

test it out.... when you push down on the accelerator...the vacuum pressure changes and the light goes out becuase you are accelerating....if you just drive at high r's your light will stay on because you vacuum pressure is high.

i actually had my shift light come on in 5th grear a few times...i don't know how to make it do it but it was wierd.
Soft and Hard Top
UniSonic23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.