Shift Boot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shift Boot

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Shift Boot

Awhile back my slave cylinder went out so I went ahead and got it and clutch changed by the family mechanic (I wasn't ready to tackle dropping the whole motor and tranny on my own). Now for some reason my shift boot won't fit on my shifters right anymore. If I bolt it back to the floor, it won't let me shift into 2nd, 4th or reverse. It's really annoying for a perfectionist like me and it lets air that my Cat heats up blow through right against my legs which is also very annoying in the summer. There wasn't any change in the way it ran, drove, or shifted after the work was done it's just the boot. Anyone know what might cause this?

Last edited by Wheelman286; 03-31-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Wheelman286 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Typically clearance issues with 2nd and 4th gear (including reverse) is attributed to a lift(typically body). Does your shifter have sufficient clearance with the body when it is in the aft position(2nd,4th,reverse)? If not, then you will need to trim the metal along the backside of the opening to allow for sufficient clearance. This is common, but like I said, it is typically encountered after a lift. Perhaps when the clutch work was done, the tranny mount bolts ended up further back on the skid plate which is now causing clearance issues. This can be explained by worn tranny and or engine mounts or the mount was not properly adjusted after a previous lift and was reset during the clutch work. Inspect your mounts, if good, check the clearance as described and cut accordingly.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah... my tranny was lowered when the lift was put on it and when we dropped the transmission and took the engine off the motor mounts it was the first time that it had been off the car in 16 years. Makes sense i guess that I would have to do a little tweaking.
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
cycletec
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought, loosen the two transmission mount nuts and see if the tranny moves forward. If he mechanic tightened he bolts before mounting the skid plate it may be pulling back on the tranny.
cycletec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.