Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

She's running HOT!! YJ Overheating.

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  oldtime_ironman 
#1 ·
Recently put on a new warn 8000, winch plate dual tube bumper and off road lights all pretty much blocking my grill. She now over heats when stuck in traffic or wheeling. Anything that isn't fast enough to pull air through. It cools and runs fine when on the highway or driving over 30+ mph. I'm sure this has happened to others. I changes the thermostat and added all new fluid and the radiator is around 100k old.. (Jeep has 231K). Anyone have this problem and have some ideas on how to cool.. I was thinking of adding an electric fan? Whattya's say??
Thanks

#4 ·
this, maybe also consider a new alluminum rad. the winch shouldn't matter if you're just sitting still, it would actually matter more if you were above 30 or so and the fac clutch was off

#6 ·
The new winch and bumper is NOT the issue. There is no way a winch is blocking air flow enough to cause you to overheat. There has to be some other cooling system issue that coincidentally must have began occurring around the same time you installed the winch.

#9 ·
I'm leaning towards fan clutch as well. A buddy of mine has a Warn 9000 winch power plant and it covers a great deal of the grill but he doesn't have overheating problems. It gets a little warm on the trail but doesn't overheat.

I'm having the same issue on the trail and now it's gotten a little worse. I needed to replace my fan clutch because the shroud flexed and the fan hit it and tore up both. Unfortunately I have an Autozone fan clutch and when I got my new on it's a total piece of crap. It never locks up even when it's hot.

My plan now is to find an OEM fan clutch and not one of those reman'd ones, they're dump. I'm also going to snag an electric fan from my dad's collection of junk cars and put it in the front for additional cooling on the trail.

#10 ·
Dammit!! I totally forgot that I posted this thread... (gotta lay off the sauce). I just started another thread on installing the $300+ Flex-a-lite fan I bought to fix the problem, cause I'm too much of a busy stew-nod to remember I posted and peoples actually replied. I could have had my answer and saved myself $300 beans!!! God I feel like an idiot!! ughh I need a beer!
~ Should I go ahead and install the fan - or - fix the stock fan clutch and purge the system of air and re-sell the BRAND NEW fan ~ any opinions welcome.... including "your an idiot"
Thanks ALL!!!

Attachments

#18 ·
I imagine you could go either way. Since you already got the Flex-a-lite, why not just run that anyhow?

#20 ·
Agreed there is something else going on here.

If it were airflow, it would only affect things in marginal situations, that is, situations where you would be almost at the boiling point.

#21 ·
Agreed. Most likely needs to have a reverse flush to clean the gunk out of the block + radiator. They have a kit for it at Autozone for like $10, I did it to mine and I highly recommend it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.