She's running HOT!! YJ Overheating. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > She's running HOT!! YJ Overheating.

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

She's running HOT!! YJ Overheating.

Recently put on a new warn 8000, winch plate dual tube bumper and off road lights all pretty much blocking my grill. She now over heats when stuck in traffic or wheeling. Anything that isn't fast enough to pull air through. It cools and runs fine when on the highway or driving over 30+ mph. I'm sure this has happened to others. I changes the thermostat and added all new fluid and the radiator is around 100k old.. (Jeep has 231K). Anyone have this problem and have some ideas on how to cool.. I was thinking of adding an electric fan? Whattya's say??
Thanks

t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
Recently put on a new warn 8000, winch plate dual tube bumper and off road lights all pretty much blocking my grill. She now over heats when stuck in traffic or wheeling. Anything that isn't fast enough to pull air through. It cools and runs fine when on the highway or driving over 30+ mph. I'm sure this has happened to others. I changes the thermostat and added all new fluid and the radiator is around 100k old.. (Jeep has 231K). Anyone have this problem and have some ideas on how to cool.. I was thinking of adding an electric fan? Whattya's say??
Thanks
I've heard of a lot of people in your situation installing an electric fan. Considering that you had no overheating issues until you installed the equiptment that is blocking the grill I'd say that is the problem..Mine was overheating but it was simply a stuck thermostat.
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would say your fan clutch is not working as it should.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post

Dwayne
this, maybe also consider a new alluminum rad. the winch shouldn't matter if you're just sitting still, it would actually matter more if you were above 30 or so and the fac clutch was off
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
N1vek215
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a warn 9000 and no overheating here at all. Definitely a problem with with your cooling system.
N1vek215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The new winch and bumper is NOT the issue. There is no way a winch is blocking air flow enough to cause you to overheat. There has to be some other cooling system issue that coincidentally must have began occurring around the same time you installed the winch.

Previous Jeeps:
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
CreOli
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post

Dwayne
Im with this guy same thing was happening to me and i checked my fan when the jeep was off and spun it and it spun like a upside down bicycle tire so i replaced it and no more overheating ...
CreOli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OP can you post a pic of the front of your jeep?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm leaning towards fan clutch as well. A buddy of mine has a Warn 9000 winch power plant and it covers a great deal of the grill but he doesn't have overheating problems. It gets a little warm on the trail but doesn't overheat.

I'm having the same issue on the trail and now it's gotten a little worse. I needed to replace my fan clutch because the shroud flexed and the fan hit it and tore up both. Unfortunately I have an Autozone fan clutch and when I got my new on it's a total piece of crap. It never locks up even when it's hot.

My plan now is to find an OEM fan clutch and not one of those reman'd ones, they're dump. I'm also going to snag an electric fan from my dad's collection of junk cars and put it in the front for additional cooling on the trail.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dammit!! I totally forgot that I posted this thread... (gotta lay off the sauce). I just started another thread on installing the $300+ Flex-a-lite fan I bought to fix the problem, cause I'm too much of a busy stew-nod to remember I posted and peoples actually replied. I could have had my answer and saved myself $300 beans!!! God I feel like an idiot!! ughh I need a beer!
~ Should I go ahead and install the fan - or - fix the stock fan clutch and purge the system of air and re-sell the BRAND NEW fan ~ any opinions welcome.... including "your an idiot"
Thanks ALL!!!
img_2124_sm.jpg  
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

...... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...92-yj-1254647/
Post to my new link I started tonight... DUH!
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
laredojo
2002 WJ 

stock clutch fan, I personally dont like flex fans. Had one fail in high school, ruined my hood.
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fan clutch. Replace it then report back.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #14
laredojo
2002 WJ 

ha ha. the flex light is an electric fan? not like the old suicide flex fans from the 70's thats why it was 300 bux
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

****** ANYONE WANT TO BY A BRANDY-NEW FLEX-A-LITE FAN!!!! *******

- only has 2 tiny holes drilled in the shroud to run the wires through -

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.