She started smoking, how do I make her quit?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > She started smoking, how do I make her quit??

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

She started smoking, how do I make her quit??

So for the past two weeks or so I have been noticing that my heep is starting to puff out white smoke. My very first thought was,

"no worries, a little water got in the muffler"

After a few days I started to think..

"Well, maybe my head gasket is blown?"

So i've been checking my coolant level constantly and the level hasn't changed. As of right now, it seems to only puff out white smoke for a short period of time. Especially once its started, and then goes to invisible exhaust. Its not condensation from cold starts. It will smoke when I bring the revs to 2000+ as well. Even when started again at temp.

Its the 150 motor (2.5L), MPI, 220376 miles, I am the second owner and I have paperwork showing the oil has been changed every 3000 miles of its life. Runs great, no problems. Anti-freeze is lime green, but I do notice during oil changes i'm always down at least a quart and its almost sudsy brown color, but more towards black. Could this possibly be a head gasket? Or something else? help me out here..

Additional info:
-daily driver
-cat is gutted
-its been in the 70's, sunny, no rain, no moisture in the air. very dry
-due to school, haven't offroaded her since last year

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like valve guide seals to me. You can try to run some high mileage oil or put some Lucas oil conditioner in but with that many miles on the motor, it's going to give up a little oil. 1 quart every oil change really isn't that bad with 220376 miles. Start saving for a rebuild or plan a motor swap.
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ View Post
Sounds like valve guide seals to me.
I agree. My jeep did this at higher rpm's. Once I got a valve job it went away.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Jeeperez
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ View Post
Sounds like valve guide seals to me. You can try to run some high mileage oil or put some Lucas oil conditioner in but with that many miles on the motor, it's going to give up a little oil. 1 quart every oil change really isn't that bad with 220376 miles. Start saving for a rebuild or plan a motor swap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I agree. My jeep did this at higher rpm's. Once I got a valve job it went away.
Okay so will it be safe to drive for another month until school is over? Shes getting a lift the first week of May, so I figure I could probably do the engine while i'm at it. Would taking the head to a shop do the job?

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I drove with mine like that for a long time. When I got my head machined I actually took a cherokee 4.0L head that we had lying around to the machine shop during the week and when the weekend came around I was able to get the job done before school on Monday. Of course we just had a spare head lying around.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.