Shaffer's Diablo Sport Buildup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shaffer's Diablo Sport Buildup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
socalchef

Shaffer's Diablo Sport Buildup

Headed out Thursday afternoon from So Cal to Carson City to pick up the chassis from Shaffer's. It was a nice drive, and we had some time Friday before heading to the shop so my gf and I toured the old Senate building that's just around the corner.

Anyways, it sorta fits into a shortbed Dodge

Had to give it a test fit once I got home

A bunch of buddies showed up and in no time we were tearing down my Jeep

It's a shame to send this to the scrap pile....

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Radflo[/COLOR] shocks and coilovers, [COLOR="Red"]Superior[/COLOR] d30 shafts and Super 88, 36" Iroks, Atlas tc, [url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497674] [/url]
socalchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
socalchef

Another buddy stopped by to see how we were doing

I upgraded to 1.75" DOM tube, and hot dog...the new tubework is MUCH lighter then the half of a tub that was left, and much lighter then the cage I had built out of 2" .120 wall DOM. Combine that with 4 guys and it goes on like nothing.

So once the chassis was on the frame, I started gutting the dash. My plan is to use the stock gauges and steering column. Something I've discovered while going through this is that Shaffer's has designed everything so exact that you could easily use the cowl, firewall and even the dash without very much modification. I'll be making an aluminum dash and mounting the factory gauges under a slot cut in the dash.

There is A LOT of room in this thing too. The tubework is as wide as the tub, so you've got about 56" of space in between the outer tubes. I could almost fit a third seat in the front. OK maybe a teen seat.

Today I cut out the firewall and cowl and trimmed it to fit. Very minor trimming. I'll probably be picking up another cowl since this one has seen the rocks before. I'm still undecided on building a firewall or just using what I've got now. There are positives and negatives to each, but just using the stock piece is so easy I may go with that.

The hood needs to be trimmed to close all the way, about 2", or the grill needs to be raise, or the tubework dropped a little. It seems to sit pretty tall right now so I may do that. I've got some figuring to do in the next couple of days so I probably won't have much in the way of updates until later this week. Want to make sure I go the right route the first time.

Looking forward to starting work on the 4 link also. I'll be using 2.5" Johnny Joints, fixed on the axle end, and 1.25" shank on the frame end. I might be doing same length uppers and lowers, can you say beef?
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Radflo[/COLOR] shocks and coilovers, [COLOR="Red"]Superior[/COLOR] d30 shafts and Super 88, 36" Iroks, Atlas tc, [url=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497674] [/url]
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
rbn1357

If we had a "hardcore" section on JF this might just make it. Good job the chassis. I have seen that on PBB and it looks awesome.

Are you going coilovers or air ect?

Keep us updated
rbn1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
socalchef

Fox 2.0 14" coilovers

Last edited by socalchef; 08-07-2006 at 12:46 AM..
Unread 08-07-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Chef, I posted on JU too, don't toss that cage man! I'd love to take it off your hands! that would save me alot of work.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I call 2nd dibbs on the cage. I'll come pick it up too. Like tomarrow.
Unread 08-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
socalchef

sorry guys, not too comfortable giving the cage to someone else.
Unread 08-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well if you come around you know who to call. It would be going on this if you thought one of us would be lamers.

Unread 08-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
socalchef

I started off tonight by getting the tubework square on the stock frame. To do so, just tied some nuts onto some string, tied it to the tube and measured off the frame. About 8" off the frame in the back, and about 11 3/4" on the front iirc.

I tacked the grill hoop to the frame, measured everything again, then made these out of the same material as the rest of the chassis, 1.75" .120 wall DOM

In all, there will be 5 of these on each side, spaced about 12" apart. They won't be on the same plane, meaning I couldn't use one piece of plate to cover it all, but that's ok. The orange line on the frame is how one piece of plate would line up from the rocker to the frame...sticking down low up front and going higher in the back. I'll place the runners from the rockers to the top edge of the frame and end up with a sort of wave effect on the boatsides, but again, that's ok. I'll have more clearance in the end.

I had a couple other friends stop by tonight to brainstorm so that's all I got done, I hope to get the other 8 welded on tomorrow.
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #10
socalchef

what kind of front springs are those slapahoe?
Unread 08-08-2006, 12:40 AM   #11
NORxjCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchef
rough country

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."
NORxjCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 01:06 AM   #12
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchef
Like Ryan said, Rough Country's new style spring pack.
Unread 08-08-2006, 01:12 AM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good chef.

Perhaps I'll come by sometime over the next weekend to pick up the tube fenders. Friday ~ lunchtime maybe if that works for you.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #14
socalchef

Not a problem Joe. You won't get to check out the goods though!
Unread 08-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #15
socalchef

I've been having a rotten time trying to get the seat mounts figured out. I'm 6'2" and always wear a helmet when I wheel, so to fit that with a comfortable 4"+ overhead is difficult. Seat mounts always give me a trouble. To make it even more difficult is the fact that my gf is like 5'2" and I've been wanting to get her driving more often. Easy Rick made some slick sliders for his buggy that I wanted to copy but with the Atlas clocked flat and tucked all the way up, there's not much room to work with. I finally just started working on them and bent a piece of tube for the front mounts. In order to get it as low as I wanted I notched a section of the bottom and plated it so I'd have a half inch or so of clearance for the Atlas. I may drop it 1/2-1" but figured either way the clearance would be good. This shot is a bad perspective, the vent fitting is about 3" away from the tube

After getting frustrated with the seat mounts and deciding I'd have to wait to progress until tomorrow night when I can source more tabs (I really dislike making those things, but not quite as much as I dislike paying $2-3 each) I started work on a heat shield for the exhaust. The aluminum is just shy of 1/8" thick, and boy, it sure is a pain in the *** to make a bend in it with a 6" wide vise. I scored it with a cutoff wheel, then used some C clamps and angle iron to get a start to the bend, then worked it back and forth in the vice to about a 45 degree angle. I welded a couple nuts to the Spintech muffler and will weld another to the cat, make some spacers and bolt it down and have one task completed.

The seat needs to mount right about here. I welcome any suggestions.

I really want to get the floor and seat mounts done this weekend
and start on the dash

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.