shackles turned inward with new lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackles turned inward with new lift

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From what I can see in the pic, your shackle mount seems to be custom and sits a little further out than stock. If this is the case then longer shackles are your fix.

TrentYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentYJ
From what I can see in the pic, your shackle mount seems to be custom and sits a little further out than stock. If this is the case then longer shackles are your fix.
As has been said a longer shackle won't do jack....
If you want to fix the problem change either the shackle mount or the leaf spring mount in the frame and your angles will be perfect if you set it up right
Shorter shackles do better offroad
Less to hang up on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum while swearing about how my rig is not done
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFarmboy View Post
As has been said a longer shackle won't do jack....

Shorter shackles do better offroad Less to hang up on!!!
Really ? It's funny that you say that because my YJ had performed much better with my 5/8" Boomerangs off-road than it ever did with the stock shackles. I had more suspension travel which helped me out when rock crawling. I didnt have to worry about inverting a shackle and bending a spring. Over a period of 4 years Wheeling on Black trails at Paragon and Raush creek I never was hung up once on my Shackles, I usually got hung up on my Belly pan before I did a belly up, or my U bolt skids
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

Really ? It's funny that you say that because my YJ had performed much better with my 5/8" Boomerangs off-road than it ever did with the stock shackles. I had more suspension travel which helped me out when rock crawling. I didnt have to worry about inverting a shackle and bending a spring. Over a period of 4 years Wheeling on Black trails at Paragon and Raush creek I never was hung up once on my Shackles, I usually got hung up on my Belly pan before I did a belly up, or my U bolt skids
I said shorter shackles were better
I meant shorter were better then long clearance wise
Boomerangs are better then short shackles IMHO
And from the sound of it your springs were the right length and setup right

In the op's case The longer shackle won't do much except give him more lift and just as bad a ride and could possible make his spring worse if it inverts it could bend worse or brake the spring
Relocation of the shackle is a good fix
Relocation of the spring a bit forwards would be better

Unread 09-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP.... let me guess, rough country lift?
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj
X2
I would put money on it lol

Unread 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #22
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
USMC3531
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My shackles did the same thing when I first tried installing my springs. My Rough Country kit instructions mention that this may happen (Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, Rough Country kits aren't expensive, but I have had no problems at all). What is happening here is that the arch of the new springs causes a shorter effective overall length spring eye to spring eye, which makes it impossible to pin the springs to the rear shackles without having them in the "rolled forward" position, and they will stay there if you lower the vehicle onto the ground that way. To get around this, use two jacks, one on each side, positioned just ahead of the spring pads (the rear shackles are bolted, but not tightened and the U-bolts are loose to the spring pads). Now, jack each side up a little at a time with the vehicle weight on the front arch of the spring, this takes some of the arch out of the springs and in effect "lengthens" them to a position where the shackles are now in a near vertical, or slightly rearward position. Now, install the U-bolts and tighten them down to the axle, which holds the springs and shackles in the correct position. Finally, lower the vehicle onto the ground and the shackles are "captured" in their correct position and they will stay that way. As the springs flatten out over time, the shackles will roll rearward (like the 20 year old springs that I replaced).
USMC3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so after much struggle making everything line up I was able to install the new Ubolts today and tighten everything up a bit. I had to move the front axle around a bit and place a floorjack under the spring to flatten it out a little bit otherwise things would not line up. She's not back on the ground yet but the shackles look MUCH better. They're actually pretty sitting the same way they did when the stock springs were on.

I was considering getting new shackles to remedy the problem but soon realized that it wouldnt do squat. I'm just happy that things worked out. i may look into getting new shackles somewhere down the road but I wanna get this job done first and see how she rides and how high she sits once the springs are broken in.

And to answer your question, YES those are RC springs. I may live to regret this purchase but i'm just hoping to be one of the lucky ones. If not, its $500 down the drain. Oh well. Live and learn.

PS: Next time I'll do the smart thing and assemble my own parts instead of buying a kit. It'll be easier now that I know everything that's needed to achieve a lift. Cheers.
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #25
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear that it worked out for ya
The only thing I can give you advice on is don't let your jeep flex out all the way or you may invert a shackle.... Just food for thought

Stalking your thread from the comforts of my tractor .... seriously!!!!
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #26
USMC3531
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My RC springs are still where I put them, no sagging whatsoever (disclaimer: only on there a couple of months so far). I have the "white paint" 2.5" springs, which are supposedly the new model. I gained a good 4 inches of lift over my old sagged out factory springs (the right rear old spring actually had a break around the front spring eye and was just sitting in there!).

I also removed the front and rear track bars, and my jeep is really bouncy now even with my new shocks, so that may be the cause of that, but it rides a hell of a lot better.

You might also find that your steering wheel isn't centered anymore, but that's easily adjustable. There are a few threads floating around on that subject, but be careful because I noticed one of them had pictured the wrong location to make the adjustment which affected the toe in. I forget the "correct nomenclature" of the bars.
USMC3531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #27
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

K. Thx for all the input gentlemen.
Unread 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
GromMudder757
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing! its fine trust me, loosen it, lower it, retighten it, then drive it and it takes awhile to break in the springs so its gonna ride like an army tank going down the road! but it gets better trust me!

Zak
GromMudder757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #29
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

rough country= junk. plain n simple. i went thru 4 yrs of hell cuz of their crap. did the soa with stock springs, headaches gone. if i ever buy another lift spring it will be bds, re, or emu or ill just leave it stock.

sorry to those offended.
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #30
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj View Post
rough country= junk. plain n simple. i went thru 4 yrs of hell cuz of their crap. did the soa with stock springs, headaches gone. if i ever buy another lift spring it will be bds, re, or emu or ill just leave it stock.

sorry to those offended.
No offence taken. We live and we learn. This is a toy for me. I like learning the mechanics of a car on it. I havent even ever wheeled. I have no wheeling experience to build on. I dont know what I want yet. So i'm going super basic for now. Then when i'm good and ready I'll go out on trails and see what I really need/want to modify. The RC lift is a way for me to get started. Like I said. Live and learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.