shackles turned inward with new lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackles turned inward with new lift

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

shackles turned inward with new lift

Im in the process of installing a 4 inch lift on my yj. I finished putting the front springs on but this is how far I had to rotate the front shackles inward... is this normal? Advice?

[IMG=http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9687/2011083119373763.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the bolts were loose when you lowered it to the ground. You may have locked them tight.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The car is actually off the ground in this pic. I had to turn it this far inward in order to reach the frame mount with the other end of the leaf spring...
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix
The car is actually off the ground in this pic. I had to turn it this far inward in order to reach the frame mount with the other end of the leaf spring...
And when you lower the jeep it should 'squash' the spring causing the shackles to be more upright.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
And when you lower the jeep it should 'squash' the spring causing the shackles to be more upright.
Oh ok. Makes sense . Thx.
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

this is a common problem with 4" and up springs. they just dont make them long enough. they tend to let the shackle sit almost vertical even when the jeeps weight is on the springs.
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
this is a common problem with 4" and up springs. they just dont make them long enough. they tend to let the shackle sit almost vertical even when the jeeps weight is on the springs.
u mean... the shackle is sitting horizontal right? Either way... do you recommend a new set of shackles? If so what kind?
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix View Post
u mean... the shackle is sitting horizontal right? Either way... do you recommend a new set of shackles? If so what kind?

The weight of the Jeep on the springs will make the shackle sit vertical. I would get new shackles , I have always used MORE shackles on my Jeep's but there are a few guys on here who make badass shackles you can get front and rear for the price on a pair of MORE .

Send a PM Besrk , or VACJ5 about Their shackles and center tubes for the shackles

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 09-01-2011 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Got vertical and horizontal mixed up
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
The weight of the Jeep on the springs will make the shackle sit horizontal. I would get new shackles , I have always used MORE shackles on my Jeep's but there are a few guys on here who make badass shackles you can get front are rear for the price on a pair of MORE .

Send a PM Besrk , or VACJ5 about Their shackles and center tubes for the shackles
That's what I thought. It looks like the shackle is passed the point of being pushed out and would instead roll inward against the frame if I put the jeep on the ground... Thx for the info. I'll look into that.
Unread 09-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

:

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
:

That is a very interesting article you had typed, There is some really helpful information in your post. I hope you didn't get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from all of that typing, My eyes were sore and my brain was hurting after reading that .

Unread 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a very interesting article you had typed, There is some really helpful information in your post. I hope you didn't get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from all of that typing, My eyes were sore and my brain was hurting after reading that .

man Tom is a hardass, I like
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix View Post
no i meant what i wrote. the springs are never long enough to allow the shackle to sit at the proper angle when weighted. yes when weighted the shackle will swing forward into the proper direction but in my view never far enough.

Quote:
The weight of the Jeep on the springs will make the shackle sit horizontal.
thats not going to happen and if it did that would be wrong. around 45* is optimal but never attainable with lift kit springs and factory mounts. they always make the shackle sit closer to vertical then any optimal angle. this is why inversion is so common.

Quote:
I would get new shackles
how would new shackles help?
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Virjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get new shackles to fix your "problem", as it won't. As Fratis said, springs just aren't long enough. We have all gone through this, and it generally isn't a big problem once installed. Get new shackles if you want them, but I don't think it will change the way they sit.
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like it's been said new shackles wont do a thing for you except lighten your wallet. Let the weight down on the suspension then post up another picture. A few companies springs are way to short when arched to 4".

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.