shackles lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackles lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 03-15-2001, 08:20 PM   #1
Brian

shackles lift

I want to put a 2" shackle lift on my 94 wrangler. Don't think I have to change the shocks, How can I tell if I need to? Also do I need to change the pitman arms or anything else?

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2001, 10:08 PM   #2
Razskidoo

Keep in mind you don't always get a full 2" lift from shackles so you might not need any thing ! Just make sure you don't hit max travel on the shocks before you will on the suspension and make sure your brake lines are not stretch if it does you might want to install a drop kit that contains-angle shims for the rear ,track bar ext. for front and rear axle,drop brackets for your brake lines,and if you have vibration from your drive shaft you'll want a transfer drop kit.And no you will not need a pitman ext. I
Unread 03-15-2001, 10:10 PM   #3
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2" lift shackles are pretty tall. That's a 8" shackle from eye-to-eye. Very tall. You'll probably want to get new shocks since your stock shocks may not be long enough when extended. The best way to check is to flex your suspension. Use a jack or a ramp to compress one side while extending the other side. Probably throw off your camber which might change how it drives onroad. Might consider shimming the front axle down some too.

------------------
Jeff Yokomura
JeepWire & 4Banger United
1992 Wrangler
Unread 03-15-2001, 10:22 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Without question I'd use 2" add-a-leaves before I went with a 2" lift shackle. Sorry, but you've chosen the worst possible method of obtaining lift in my opinion.

As Jeffy says, it's gonna screw up caster and you might want to shim. Otherwise your Jeep will wander all over the place, be a handful on hard braking and your steering will not center after a turn. Also, your approach and departure angles are pretty much stock when you do lift this way. The other problem is the added stress to your shackle mounts. You better have an onboard welder to fix them or beef them up before you hit the trail. Frankly, I think you're better off stock than doing that much shackle lift. Granted, it will be a little taller, but you'll have to get used to other Jeepers shaking their heads in disbelief when they drive by. Ok, it won't be that bad. I just think you have much better alternatives.

------------------
Matt Osburn
http://members.home.net/osburn
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2001, 01:57 PM   #5
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 7 inch shackle f & r on my yj... I would not recommend 8 inch (2inch lift). my o.e. springs are shot , and i only used the shackles to keep me off the bump stops on the street ( i had only 1/4 inch of upward travel) my 4 inch suspension kit is on the way. if you have to go with a shackle lift stay around 1 to 1&1/2 inches of lift. almost forgot to metion the shackles make the front end look awfull. I agree with osburn on add a leaves before shackles.

[This message has been edited by Tonka (edited March 16, 2001).]
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2001, 03:16 PM   #6
Cody_91YJ

I agree with the above posts.
Keep your shackle lift to a minimun.
You don't want the "Snow Plow" effect.

I'm running a 3/4" shackle lift, and wouldn't
go any higher with it.
If you are running a lift, and small shackle
lift can help flex because the stock shackles
will hit the frame quicker.

------------------
www.jeepyj.net
'91 YJ Mangler: 8" Lift, 35" BFG MTs, 4.56 gears, lockers front & rear, SYE, and more =)
Unread 09-22-2001, 02:24 PM   #7
Lukasz

What is a SNOW PLOW effect ??

This is my new letter, so: Hello

I want to put a 1" shackle lift and 1" body lift to fit 31x10.5.15 [for the start]. Will it be enought ?? Will I have to change the shocks ??
I've been thinking about a suspension lift, but in Poland a 2.5" lift costs about $1800.

Lukasz
'95 YJ
Unread 09-22-2001, 02:36 PM   #8
Lukasz

new letter = first letter
First letter, first mistake

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.