shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackles

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 03-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
bignateb
2007 JK Wrangler 

shackles

I know this has been talked about, but I've searched and can't find the info. I am putting on a new set of leaf springs and want to add new shackles. So do I go with "0" or "1/2" lift. I do not have a SYE, so I'm worried about the vibes if I go to BIG. So is 1/2 to big. Thanks

bignateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
bignateb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Can anyone help me with this?
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

All jeeps are different. With 1/2" you may, or may not need an SYE.

If you don't have the money for an SYE.. I would stay safe and go with the stock shackles.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignateb View Post
Can anyone help me with this?
I just put a 1" BL and 1" boomerang shackles on my '89 and drove it without the center bolts in the shackles....I immediately installed the center bolts and it made a huge difference....I hardly notice any difference in handling after the mod....Only a slight bit around sharp turns....And no SYE.

If you go 1/2", I'm sure you'll be fine.
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Goobersbro

yea i took the risk and put on 1/2" shackles and to my joy i didnt gain any vibes but like tom said it changes from vehicle to vehicle you could always buy them put em on if you get vibes take em off until you get money for a SYE
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Godchsr
2001 WJ 

I went with 3/4 booms and have no problems (But I don't drive highway speeds either)
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on what size lift you're putting on, you may or may not need lift shackles. If you're getting "new" ones, then it would be worth your time and $$$ to get greasables. IIRC, Currie has a 'no lift' boom style greasable, or a 1/2" lift one.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
bignateb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Are the boomerang style shackles considered to have lift added to them? I mean if I add booms in the back will I have to add 1/2" for the front shackle to keep the jeep level or can I add Booms and zero lift shackles in the front and be level.
Unread 03-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Depending on what size lift you're putting on, you may or may not need lift shackles. If you're getting "new" ones, then it would be worth your time and $$$ to get greasables. IIRC, Currie has a 'no lift' boom style greasable, or a 1/2" lift one.

WRM
IIRC doesnt the greasable bolt make the shackle a greasable shackle it has nothing to do with the shackle itself its just the bolt you put through the shackle has a zerk fitting on the end and holes through the bolt to release grease into the bushing area.... thats what I thought anyway so in theory you could buy any shackle and then spend like 5 bucks per greasable bolt and have greasable shackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignateb View Post
Are the boomerang style shackles considered to have lift added to them? I mean if I add booms in the back will I have to add 1/2" for the front shackle to keep the jeep level or can I add Booms and zero lift shackles in the front and be level.

There are stock height booms so you can have booms in the back and stockers in the front or visa versa. I personally am going to end up running 1" Boomerange shackles in the front and 1/2" boomerangs in the back so my jeep sits level but thats just me. Im waiting on money to buy a cv ds and sye before i put 1" shackles on
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, sorry to go off topic here but is there a termanology thread on this forum? I'm new to the Jeep scene and I don't have a clue what you are talking about... SYE? BOOMS? GREASABLES?

Cheers
geo1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
1995JeepYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1400 View Post
Guys, sorry to go off topic here but is there a termanology thread on this forum? I'm new to the Jeep scene and I don't have a clue what you are talking about... SYE? BOOMS? GREASABLES?

Cheers
SYE=Slip Yoke Eliminator
Booms=Boomerang Shackles
1995JeepYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
95 Lowbuck

There is more to greasable shackles than the bolt.
The collar has 2 holes drilled in the middle like the bolt.
The bushings are sloted to allow the grease to
flow the whole length of the shackle.

Last edited by 95 Lowbuck; 03-22-2009 at 09:46 AM..
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
IIRC doesnt the greasable bolt make the shackle a greasable shackle it has nothing to do with the shackle itself its just the bolt you put through the shackle has a zerk fitting on the end and holes through the bolt to release grease into the bushing area.... thats what I thought anyway so in theory you could buy any shackle and then spend like 5 bucks per greasable bolt and have greasable shackles.
Yup... anyone can just buy greasable bolts and bushings, but the OP wants "new" shackles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Pedro_Slick
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 2 inch shakcle lift with boomerangs on the back. I am about to take out the center bolts, put boomerangs on the front and do a shackle reversal.
Pedro_Slick is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.