shackles for 2.5 RC lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackles for 2.5 RC lift

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
sbs1794

shackles for 2.5 RC lift

I am about to get a 2.5 inch RC lift for my 89 YJ and I was wondering what would be the best option for shackles. I dont want a stock height shackle but nothing with a crazy lift either. also what are people's experiences with the total lift gained from the 2.5 kit as I have read some people saw 4-5 inches in lift

sbs1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs1794 View Post
I am about to get a 2.5 inch RC lift for my 89 YJ and I was wondering what would be the best option for shackles. I dont want a stock height shackle but nothing with a crazy lift either. also what are people's experiences with the total lift gained from the 2.5 kit as I have read some people saw 4-5 inches in lift
I ended up with about 4 inches total, but that was due to worn out original springs. They have settled slightly, but overall I ended up with 2.5 inches from a stock height. If you're going to lift it, you really should remove the rear track bar. This isn't in the instructions, but it makes a world of difference. If you're going to increase your lift even further by adding a shackle lift, I would not only remove the rear, but the front track bar as well.
At the end of the day, however, I would reconsider the RC lift and go with OME.
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
sbs1794

tight budget, would love the OME though, what shackles did you use?
sbs1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Have you thought about putting a set of boomerang shackles on? Also I'd say that with a 2.5" lift you'd be fine with 1" over stock length on the shackles. Too much change in shackle length can great affect the way your YJ will handle since the longer the shackle the more it changes the caster angle. If you want/need more lift then buy it in the aftermarket springs.

Here's a full set of stock length shackles I shipped out this week. They are made from 3/8" thick material and have the greasable bolts.
100_0954.jpg  

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

a 2" lift shackle for when your RC crap lift sags so bad...... LOL.....

some boom shackles would be good 1/2 lift maybe

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
tight budget, would love the OME though, what shackles did you use?
I only went 5/8 of an inch on the shackles and they are the boomerang type. While all Jeeps are different, read up on, and be prepared to troubleshoot the vibes that you'll most likely experience after the RC install.
I absolutely hate the transfer case drop as a means of resolving vibe issues as it defeats the purpose of lifting a Jeep.
I ended up with an SYE, a double cardan Woods rear driveshaft, (a front Woods DS just because they treated me so well), and a 1 inch motor mount lift.
I found that removing both front and rear track bars freed up the suspension and made my Jeep ride much, much better. I've left the sway bar attached, but plan on a quick disconnect soon.
Good luck.
Unread 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you will do good to get the 2.5 from RC springs, the reason ppl get 4-5 is like someone said, the ones you have are so bad...... If I go by those standards my OME 3.5" springs gave me 7" of lift over what I had, but since my originals were inverted I figure it was about 3.5" Like it said.....

Once the RC 'settles' as people call it, you will be back to about stock height maybe an inch higher

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.