JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   shackles for 2.5 RC lift (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/shackles-2-5-rc-lift-1254934/)

sbs1794 08-19-2011 04:24 PM

shackles for 2.5 RC lift

I am about to get a 2.5 inch RC lift for my 89 YJ and I was wondering what would be the best option for shackles. I dont want a stock height shackle but nothing with a crazy lift either. also what are people's experiences with the total lift gained from the 2.5 kit as I have read some people saw 4-5 inches in lift

nzpete 08-19-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbs1794 (Post 12048597)
I am about to get a 2.5 inch RC lift for my 89 YJ and I was wondering what would be the best option for shackles. I dont want a stock height shackle but nothing with a crazy lift either. also what are people's experiences with the total lift gained from the 2.5 kit as I have read some people saw 4-5 inches in lift

I ended up with about 4 inches total, but that was due to worn out original springs. They have settled slightly, but overall I ended up with 2.5 inches from a stock height. If you're going to lift it, you really should remove the rear track bar. This isn't in the instructions, but it makes a world of difference. If you're going to increase your lift even further by adding a shackle lift, I would not only remove the rear, but the front track bar as well.
At the end of the day, however, I would reconsider the RC lift and go with OME.

sbs1794 08-19-2011 05:17 PM

tight budget, would love the OME though, what shackles did you use?

Jim1611 08-19-2011 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you thought about putting a set of boomerang shackles on? Also I'd say that with a 2.5" lift you'd be fine with 1" over stock length on the shackles. Too much change in shackle length can great affect the way your YJ will handle since the longer the shackle the more it changes the caster angle. If you want/need more lift then buy it in the aftermarket springs.

Here's a full set of stock length shackles I shipped out this week. They are made from 3/8" thick material and have the greasable bolts.

giggityjeeper 08-19-2011 06:33 PM

a 2" lift shackle for when your RC crap lift sags so bad...... LOL.....

some boom shackles would be good 1/2 lift maybe

nzpete 08-20-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbs1794 (Post 12048823)
tight budget, would love the OME though, what shackles did you use?

I only went 5/8 of an inch on the shackles and they are the boomerang type. While all Jeeps are different, read up on, and be prepared to troubleshoot the vibes that you'll most likely experience after the RC install.
I absolutely hate the transfer case drop as a means of resolving vibe issues as it defeats the purpose of lifting a Jeep.
I ended up with an SYE, a double cardan Woods rear driveshaft, (a front Woods DS just because they treated me so well), and a 1 inch motor mount lift.
I found that removing both front and rear track bars freed up the suspension and made my Jeep ride much, much better. I've left the sway bar attached, but plan on a quick disconnect soon.
Good luck.

giggityjeeper 08-20-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbs1794 (Post 12048597)

you will do good to get the 2.5 from RC springs, the reason ppl get 4-5 is like someone said, the ones you have are so bad...... If I go by those standards my OME 3.5" springs gave me 7" of lift over what I had, but since my originals were inverted :rofl: I figure it was about 3.5" Like it said.....

Once the RC 'settles' as people call it, you will be back to about stock height maybe an inch higher

The time now is 09:53 AM.