shackle reversal for street use or offroad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackle reversal for street use or offroad

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
CJ5Doc
1975 CJ5 

shackle reversal for street use or offroad

I have read many threads on this subject and their are some great facts and opinions...... My question is.. for a Yj with a proposed 4.5 Rubicon express lift and 33 inch tires will it be better to do a shackle reversal if it is going to be a daily driver?

CJ5Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
bigredcherokee
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sure it will handle the road better from what I have read.
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Ra8erFan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just had a shop do a weld on S/R kit for me. I like the way it brings the front tires forward for better approach angles. But now I don't know if I can lift it any higher. Also I'm thinking that the leaf springs will never give me the flex that I want so I might have to go with coils. I did not notice any diffrence in the ride (it still feels like a Jeep). My opinion is that for me it was a waste of $$. So I guess it all depends on how you want your Jeep set up in the end.
Ra8erFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
CJ5Doc
1975 CJ5 

Raider fan did you feel a noticeable dive in the front end when breaking hard?
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
bvk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra8erFan View Post
I just had a shop do a weld on S/R kit for me. I like the way it brings the front tires forward for better approach angles. But now I don't know if I can lift it any higher. Also I'm thinking that the leaf springs will never give me the flex that I want so I might have to go with coils. I did not notice any diffrence in the ride (it still feels like a Jeep). My opinion is that for me it was a waste of $$. So I guess it all depends on how you want your Jeep set up in the end.
errr if you do a shackle reversal on the YJ the tires move backwards when the spring compresses... or are you talking about the relative position of the wheels when the spring isn't under load compared to the shackle in the front?
bvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Ra8erFan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, I really did not notice any change in drivability at all.
errr if you do a shackle reversal on the YJ the tires move backwards when the spring compresses... or are you talking about the relative position of the wheels when the spring isn't under load compared to the shackle in the front?
Talking about where the tires are when not under a load (I guess). During normal driving and when parked the tires are about 4 inches more to the front of the Jeep, giving you better approch angles. Have never looked at it while wheeling it (Don't trust noone but me to dive the heep)
Ra8erFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
KMA Krawler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5Doc View Post
I had a reversal before I did the coil conversion and depending on the shackle angle the nose will dive when braking quick or hard...I know mine did, I just got used to it. If you ever plan to go higher I would suggest not going with the reversal.

"UNANSWERED THREADS"
KMA Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
CJ5Doc
1975 CJ5 

Will the jeep sit higher in the front with a shackle reversal? and how much higher?
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
KMA Krawler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes it will...about an inch to an inch and a half...looks good up a little in front.

"UNANSWERED THREADS"
KMA Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ra8erFan post a picture on level pavement im wondering what your setup looks like compared to mine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.