shackle reversal myth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackle reversal myth

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-18-2002, 07:07 AM   #1
chambers1517

shackle reversal myth

Just installed a shackel reversal on my cousins yj. He has a 3 inch body lift and 33 inch pro comps. The ride is actually much worse. We called the manufacturer and here is what we learnt. The theory behind a reversal is that when arched springs flatten due to compression, the front tires move forward. into the bump. With a reversal the tires move backward away from the impact. They said the axle moves the same amout no matter where the shackles are , it just moves in the oposite direction. With factory flat springs the reversal actually makes the tires move forward into the impact. Makes sense, too bad we already installed it.

chambers1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 08:22 AM   #2
Quan

just get rid of that body lift and get some new lift springs

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 09:55 AM   #3
RideRed04

How do you figure that the tires would move into the bump with the reversal? The spring compresses, it goes away from the solid point. I dunno what happend there.
Unread 10-18-2002, 11:32 AM   #4
Koolaidkid

But once the spring goes beyond flat, the wheel comes back towards the solid pivot.

It seems like you would have to go a ways past flat though to notice it.
Unread 10-18-2002, 06:32 PM   #5
chambers1517

soa

On my jeep with a soa the springs are almost perfectly flat, so with a reversal any flex up or down would move the tires forward.
chambers1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #6
V8wrangler_idaho

man get some new springs. the stock springs suck.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2002, 09:58 AM   #7
RideRed04

Boy, its good to finally read some intelectually stimulating threads after bsing in the color threads....gotta keep a balance ya know!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.