shackle reversal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shackle reversal

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:45 PM   #16
RodeoRob

I hardly proved myself wrong.
No, i don't think you did. I think I see your point... but i'm still hanging onto my orignal statement.

what about this... hear me out... a certain force acts vertically, moving the axle up, this is your bump, call it F1. Then there is a force require to move the shackle on its axis (with a flat spring, this force would be horizontal), call it F2.

From this we can have two scenerios right...
#1: F1 is greater than F2, in which case the axle follows the path of least resistance, moving forward (away from the fixed point) pushing the shackle.
#2: F2 is greater, in which case the spring would go from flat to inverted, moving the axle towards the back of the jeep on its axis (fixed point C), and the shackle would be sucked in towards the axle as a result.

I believe me and Mr Mopar are arguing scenerio #1 happens while you are saying scenerio #2 happens. which actually does? i dunno, but i'm still guessing #1.

This is exactly why Jeeps come from the factory with the shackles in the front.
well, what about other vehicles that come with 'flat' leaf springs from the factory? wagoneers and FSJs, they are noterious for having flat springs and they come with shackles reversed right? what about K5 blazers, i know they have shackle reversal and their stock springs are inverted. that would go against your arguement.

-Rob

1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2002, 10:39 AM   #17
4wheeler4CJ

The geometry works, no question, and shackles in the front work better with flat springs. Period. There's no way to discount it, no matter how other vehicles are configured.

Shackle reversal can only work on Jeeps with arched lift springs. Even then, I remember reading some negs on the setup, it's not a cut-and-dry good thing to do.

But, then, what is?
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.