Shackle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Shackle question

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-27-2001, 12:41 AM   #1
Keymaster

Shackle question

Okay, I think I've narrowed down my decision for a lift. I want to thank all who replied to my earlier message on lift ideas. I think I wanna keep things simple. I have a 91 YJ with a 6 cyl, 5-speed and 31 in. tires. I was thinking of just going with a shackle lift and maybe going with 32 x 11.5 inch tires. I have 15 x 8 inch wheels, so will that size tire fit? Also, will just a shackle lift be enough for 32's? Does anyone have a problem with this setup? I know it doesn't sound like much of a modification, but I just got this Jeep (it's my first) and I'm still babying it. Maybe later I'll get hardcore. Right now I just want to get it looking good for the summer. Thanks again for your help.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Jeepaholic

Shackle lifts are a bit sketchy...if you get too much lift, you'll screw up the caster/camber and your steering will suffer because of it. Your Jeep will gain a mind of it's own and respond to every little rut and dip in the road. It's a bit annoying.

I would say do NOT use a shackle that more than 2" longer than stock. You might be ok at that level...remember this only nets you 1" of lift.

The one inch of lift may help you fit 32's in so you can "look good for the summer" but don't plan on wheeling it. You'll send your tires into your fenders the minute you flex them out. I had a 2.5" spring lift and 2" body lift with 32's at one point in my Jeeping career...they barely tucked under my fenders without rubbing too bad.

[SIZE=1][url="http://www.jeepaholics.com"]Jeepaholics Anonymous[/url]
[url="http://www.broncoholics.com"]Broncoholics Anonymous[/url]
[/SIZE]
Jeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2001, 11:06 PM   #3
Keymaster

Don't worry....won't be doing any hardcore off-roading. The only place I'll off-road will be in the Outer Banks in the sand. I think rubbing won't be a problem. The previous owner rounded out the fenders because I guess the 31's were rubbing when he put them on.

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.